Review of Everything Under the Sun

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of Everything Under the Sun

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Everything Under the Sun" by Spencer H. Steeves.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everything Under the Sun is an imaginative fantasy novel written by Spencer Steeves. The ancient kingdoms of Sun’s Reach and Moonwatch got divided and blocked from each other during an event called the Eclipse. The wizards separated the two kingdoms with an arcane barrier. King Algrith Redwyn ruled at the time, and there was a vicious war going on. Many years later, Godfrey Redwyn is the king of Sun’s Reach and a new war looms. King Godfrey arranges his daughter Emery’s wedding to Lord Geurus Gardstar’s son, Tarus. Godfrey believes this is the best alliance he could come up with to protect himself, for Lord Geurus is a powerful man that has a veritable army. Emery is not thrilled with this arrangement, though, and as the story progresses, readers find out that hidden agendas abound. But no spoiler is allowed!

I thought that the well-crafted plot was the book’s strongest aspect, and it was what I enjoyed the most. Steeves manages parallel plotlines with mastery, weaving an intricate network that ultimately comes together smoothly and cleverly. For instance, I enjoyed the plotline with Amaru Sunbrand, daughter of the primary goddess Yamaria, the Sun Mother. Above all, I appreciated the way the author later connected this subplot with the Redwyn royal family and its crisis. It all converged beautifully.

The characters are well-developed as well. Princess Emery Redwyn is a multidimensional and relatable heroine that the author composed well. Her arranged marriage posed a dilemma that colored the story and hooked me. I also liked her delicate relationship with Lord Ignis Duskwalker, the crown’s Secretkeeper, whom Emery often sought for advice. Another remarkable character was Alaric Valyaara, the bard; his partnership with Amaru was engrossing.

Unfortunately, the version I read (epub format) had several formatting mishaps. This was what I liked the least about it. For instance, there were several unnecessary blank pages in the middle of chapters; there were even a few interruptions midsentence. Paragraph indentation also varied, and the epilogue’s formatting was particularly faulty. On the other hand, there were no spelling or grammatical mistakes per se, and the formatting errors did not detract from my enjoyment of the novel.

Thus, I rate Everything Under the Sun 4 out of 4 stars. I had a great time reading it, and I would gladly read the sequel. If you enjoy fantasy novels, I believe that you should take a look at this one. It has no profanity, so it can be read by teenagers with no need for parental guidance.

Everything Under the Sun
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

The plot looks very strong and interesting, wizards make a majority of things a thousand times better, the book cover is really captivating too. This will go straight to my bookshelf!
"Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck." ~ Will Herondale (Cassandra Clare)
Anshu_1010
Currently Reading: The Forbidden Sister
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anshu_1010 »

Beautiful story and very intresting things about wizards. I like it very much and I add on my bookshelf.
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Format blunders are honestly the worst. Books are supposed to appeal to the eye first. But it sounds like the storyline is well developed.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

Your review is very informative. A well-developed plot is the most important part of a book we can do with formatting errors if the story is good.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

The cover is what drew my attention to this book. I do not read fantasy, but this sounds like one that both my teens would enjoy. Thank you for an informative review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I love fantasy novels and it would be interesting read for me. The book cover and the plot are looking perfect with each other. Thank you for your beautiful review.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I am glad that the formatting did not take away from your enjoyment of the novel! That has happened to me a few times and it is so disheartening because the novel could be great. Great work.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

The cover of this book is attractive and bright. It takes you to the dreamland. And your review is honest and detailed. I would love to read this book.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Your great review made me wanna try this book. I’m excited to add this to my bookshelf. Thank you for your honest review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”