Review of How The Hell Did I Get Here?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Review of How The Hell Did I Get Here?

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How The Hell Did I Get Here?" by Anthony Aguirre.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Michael Chavez is a meek college student living a quiet life when a case of mistaken identity leads to his recruitment by the Special Tasks Division for the United States. After being shot with a knockout drug while sitting on a park bench, he wakes up on an airplane. Without being given a chance to protest, he finds himself parachuting into a Russian military base with a mission to help extract an undercover agent. Later gaining an unexpected ally, they have to get out of the base and contact the Division for extraction. Will Michael and his new friends be able to escape? Find out in How The Hell Did I Get Here? by Anthony Aguirre.

With 94 pages, this young adult, spy novella has a fast pace and is filled with action and some good plot twists. Despite the fast pace, there were also calmer moments that let me get to know the characters, which was my favorite thing about this book.

Another thing I really liked was the humor that was present throughout the story, which included things the characters said and did as well as smaller details, like one character who wears a pink-stained uniform. It kept the story from becoming too tense and made for an enjoyable reading experience.

One negative was that I had a hard time connecting with Michael until the end of the story. I did sympathize with him in the beginning because I'm also not a risk taker, but I ended up caring more about the other main characters instead. Michael’s character evolution over the course of the story was well-written as he went from meek and a bit cowardly to being much braver and willing to do whatever he could to help his friends, which helped me to connect with him in the last few chapters.

The ending was satisfying but also left some unanswered questions. This was the main thing I disliked about the book because I was very curious about the answers to some of these questions. Some of them I could see being used as a setup for a sequel, if the author intends to write one, but I feel like the others could have have been answered in this book.

Overall, I enjoyed this book, and there were less than ten editing mistakes. Due to the issues I mentioned, I’ve decided to give it 3 out of 4 stars. The story did not have any romance except mentioning that two female characters are girlfriends. There was some swearing and some violence, but there were no graphic descriptions, so this book is appropriate for readers fourteen and older. I recommend it to anyone who likes action and is looking for a quick read.

How The Hell Did I Get Here?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

The title is very catchy and the book sounds engaging. Thanks for a well-put-together review.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Seems like something I would enjoy. Thank you for the review, I'll add this to my shelf!
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

The title 'How The Hell Did I Get Here?' intrigued me at the first sight and when I read your review I have made my mind to add this to my reading list. It is a short book that's like cherry on the cake when your TBR pile is sky-high.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

A case of mistaken identities, spy mission, and an unlikely ally. Short and a perfect combo for a spy read. Thank you for a great review!
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

94 pages, with humor woven into the story. This sure is a perfect quick read! Thank you for your great review.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I thought the main character have amnesia. I think so it will be fun spy read for me. Thank you for your amazing review it made me to add this book in my TBR.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Kiran Kanwar wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 06:52 The title 'How The Hell Did I Get Here?' intrigued me at the first sight and when I read your review I have made my mind to add this to my reading list. It is a short book that's like cherry on the cake when your TBR pile is sky-high.
I go for the short books when I have too many to read too.
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

shreyagupta wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 03:29 The title is very catchy and the book sounds engaging. Thanks for a well-put-together review.
marba wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 04:43 Seems like something I would enjoy. Thank you for the review, I'll add this to my shelf!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Kavita Shah wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 03:00 A case of mistaken identities, spy mission, and an unlikely ally. Short and a perfect combo for a spy read. Thank you for a great review!
Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 13:16 I thought the main character have amnesia. I think so it will be fun spy read for me. Thank you for your amazing review it made me to add this book in my TBR.
C Janet wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 06:16 94 pages, with humor woven into the story. This sure is a perfect quick read! Thank you for your great review.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

The title alone has a very humorous vibes in it!
The number of pages may also not satisfy my curiosity, so I agree with your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

After so much adventure I bet Michael wants to go back to his boring life. Or maybe not :). I would like to discover that myself. Thank you for this interesting review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 18:57 The title alone has a very humorous vibes in it!
The number of pages may also not satisfy my curiosity, so I agree with your review.
Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 08:51 After so much adventure I bet Michael wants to go back to his boring life. Or maybe not :). I would like to discover that myself. Thank you for this interesting review!
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

wow i wonder how Micheal will react to the mistaken identity that will put him to a new phase in life. Thanks for the great review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I can't imagine being put in that kind of situation as I tend to avoid danger. It sounds like a very thrilling book that would be perfect for the beach. Thanks for your wonderful review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”