Official Review: The Last Portal by Robert Cole

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Official Review: The Last Portal by Robert Cole

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Portal" by Robert Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Portal: Book 1 of the Mytar series is the beginning of a saga written by Robert Cole. It follows the journey of Chris, Susie, and Joe to a place called Cathora. Their summoner, Batarr, claimed to be the Guardian of the portal that connected their Earth to Cathora. And out of the blue, he asked them to save his dimension. He even insisted they possessed special abilities that could prevent Zelnoff and his soldiers from conquering Cathora. If they failed to stop the villain, their beloved Earth would be the next one to fall. Was Batarr really telling them the truth? How could they fight against a dangerous creature if they knew neither his face nor his capabilities? Should the trio help him, or should they find their way back home?

One of the best parts of this copy is that the main cast is quite realistic. Since they are merely teenagers, it's easy to explain their reactions to the sudden responsibilities they are forced to bear. Risking your lives fighting against an entire army for a foreign world is not a simple task, so I can perfectly understand their choices. When Chris's powers grow, he suffers from a few adverse effects, such as headaches or nausea. This can teach the young readers that nothing comes without a price. Joe's behaviors, which are caused by frustration and powerlessness, are comprehensible, as it's how people in his shoes would feel.

In addition, the book raises some meaningful questions. Through the words of Chris's father, the author shows us the concerns about the unusual natural disasters caused by greenhouse gases, such as droughts, bushfires, and floods. Meanwhile, what Chris's mother worries about also leaves an enormous query to all of us. After all the things we have done to our planet, what legacies can we proudly pass down to our next generations? What will our descendants benefit from our current actions?

The only complaint I have is that this copy needs another round of editing. The punctuation errors and the missing commas after the introductory phrases are a bit too distracting.

Unfortunately, I will have to give this novel 3 out of 4 stars because of the above negative aspect. I would recommend it to those who love fantasy stories. Even though this is a work of fiction, it contains thought-provoking details for us to ruminate on. This is suitable for both teenagers and adults. Still, some violent scenes make it unsafe for children.

The Last Portal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

Seems like you read this story with full devotion. Your review is very descriptive and intriguing.
It looks like a book with not only full of adventures but with hidden values and things that'll make you think hard.
Thank you for your review!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

This sounds like a story with an intense and fascinating plot but indeed punctuation errors can be distracting. I'd still love to know the journey of Chris, Susie, and Joe to Cathora though. Thanks for writing a beautiful review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I believe it's a great book for young readers :) I love it then a book rises important questions while being entertaining. Would love to check it as well! Thanks for a great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Thanks for the detailed review. The plot seems very interesting.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

It’s great that the author is able to include real world issues in the story. This sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the review and recommendation!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

An intriguing review indeed. I can definitely feel your passion through your words. Thank you for it.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”