Official Review: A Matter of Control by J.E. Solinski

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Official Review: A Matter of Control by J.E. Solinski

Post by Drianie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Matter of Control" by J.E. Solinski.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Matter of Control by J.E. Solinski tells the story of four teenagers as they face unexpected challenges at the start of a new school year. Each of them, in their own way, tries to control their circumstances. However, by the end, they will learn what it means to let God be in control.

Fourteen-year-old Reba is passionate about becoming an actress, but she is also an exemplary student and skilled at tutoring. Mrs. Richards, her English teacher, employs her to tutor sixteen-year-old Alex, who cannot read due to his dyslexia. These tutoring sessions affect both Reba's chance to be cast in the school play as well as Alex's position on the football team. Travis, also sixteen years old, is the leader of a local drug gang. Danny, a first-year medical student, struggles to keep his grades up, and Travis might be the answer to his problems. As the school year progresses, their lives intertwine, and events lead to a shocking climax that will force them to take a hard look at their life choices.

Firstly, I loved every moment I spent reading this book. Solinski spends a great deal of time on character development, and the result is a thought-provoking journey that will have readers falling in love with the various characters. I enjoyed getting to know each one of them and discovering how they influence each other’s lives. Travis comes across as dangerous and aloof, but his inner struggle makes him relatable. He was my favorite character, and I found his transformation fascinating.

Secondly, readers who enjoy Christian content will appreciate the underlying theme of allowing God to take control of your life. It might be a bit slow-paced for some, but those who choose to delve into this well-written story will find many valuable life lessons that will stay with them long after they finished the book.

Lastly, the novel was also professionally edited, with only two errors found within an otherwise perfect text. Since I have no dislikes worth mentioning, I award A Matter of Control 4 out of 4 stars. As far as sexual content goes, the author vaguely refers to Travis’s mom and her questionable lifestyle choices. The few violent scenes are also free of details that will upset sensitive readers. With only one instance of minor profanity, I deem this book appropriate for teenagers.

Readers who find drug-related content triggering should approach this book with caution. However, the author does not dwell on unnecessary details. Besides drug abuse and drug dealing, readers will also explore other themes such as poverty, friendship, and sacrifice. Despite the mature themes, a younger audience will benefit from giving this book a read. Readers who harbor a love for football will also find something to enjoy in this book. Overall, this was a great read that will stay with me for a long time.

A Matter of Control
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The review is depicting so many twists and turns that I am really wishing to read the book.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

I think teenagers need to learn this one lesson: let God be in control.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

This sounds like a touching story. I appreciate books with good character development. Great review.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Sometimes trying to control our circumstances isn't the best choice. Great review of a book with a great message.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I love books where the characters’ lives become intertwined more as they go. I like the underlying theme that there’s only so much control we have and at some point we have to let God take the reins. Thanks for the great review
suchith_mohare
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by suchith_mohare »

Probably kids in 2021 prefers Netflix shows than books,a character development based book will surely inspire teens story seems more interesting I would love to read this book
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

Students with very diverse backgrounds coming together always sounds like some drama is about to be stirred. You have wonderfully penned down this review.
Dibuseng M
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dibuseng M »

I really wanna read this story because of this review, it just feels like a very educative movie rather than a book. It feels so real and I believe teenagers can learn alot from this book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”