Official Review: Vagabond by Mary A.J. [December 2021 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Official Review: Vagabond by Mary A.J. [December 2021 Book of the Month]

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vagabond" by Mary A.J..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cornelia High is an unusual school in many aspects, starting from its ominous, gothic façade to its mysterious forefathers. Cecelia Harrow, the newest addition to its student population, is probably the most atypical of all. She is none other than Lucifer’s daughter, the mighty princess of Hell. Tired of her bloodlust and plunder, Cecelia seeks sanctuary in Cornelia High, evading the demons pursuing her. However, the school has its own secrets that soon threaten to overwhelm her sense of security. What will she discover in the dark crypts of the school? How long can she keep her identity secret? Vagabond by Mary A.J., a young adult paranormal novel, can answer these questions.

I liked the premise, which was both unique and appealing. Lucifer’s daughter attending a school and striving to mingle with the humans created an enigma. The novel captured a continuous struggle between her sense of self-preservation and intense remorse for her merciless slaughter of innocents. Despite feeling attracted towards Sebastian Nox, she could not commit herself, afraid that her demonic self would hurt him. On the other hand, she could not ignore the dark allure of Alexander Draven, either. Mary A.J. highlighted these inner conflicts and dilemmas perfectly.

The novel contained all the necessary elements required for a captivating read, including a suspenseful storyline and shocking twists. The gothic structure and the shadowy past of the school contributed to the atmospheric nature of the book. To complete the concoction, Mary A.J. incorporated vivid action scenes and demonic fights. A dash of romance featuring a teenage love triangle took the edge off the tension. Based on the twist at the ending, there will be further sequels.

The aspect I liked the most was how Mary A.J. portrayed the constant battle between good and evil. The stark contrast between the characters of Sebastian and Alexander reflected this. The former personified everything pure and noble, appealing to the human nature of Cecelia. On the other hand, the latter was an epitome of darkness, inciting her demonic half. The entire novel centered around which aspect of her character she would choose.

I found nothing to dislike about this novel. From a technical standpoint, there were very few and negligible errors. Based on my reading experience, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would heartily recommend it to any reader who appreciates young-adult paranormal romance. However, there are a few graphic scenes of violence that might deter the more squeamish readers.

Vagabond
View: on Bookshelves
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The writing was captivating and I am surely planning to read the book.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Lucifer's daughter Cecilia attends a human school. She is afraid; which sounds impossible but is true in this case. I would like to read this book. Thank you for a splendid review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

You got me when you said Cecelia is Lucifers daughter. I’m very interested in reading about the demonic fights and how those play out into the twist at the end. Thanks for the great review!
Lila Ilak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-ilak.html
Latest Review: The Shade of Highfall by Mark O'Dell

Post by Lila Ilak »

Thank you for your review!

This is a trope I haven't read much about before - and I ready heavily young adult - and the premise sounds interesting.
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

Sounds like this book would keep me glued to the very end.
Thanks for the wonderful review!
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

This looks like something I'd love to read so much! Cecelia being Lucifer's daughter, she could be as demonic as someone could get but instead she's on the 'good' end of the war. Who doesn't love stories with characters capable of massive destruction but still choose otherwise. I so want to read it, like right now.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I haven't read anything about this topic yet , so it will be interesting read for me. Thank you for your amazing review.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

A fight between good and evil within oneself makes a great read. The thought that a daughter of Lucifer felt remorse for doing wrong is appealing. Definitely a want to read for me.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Samuel Igoni
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Samuel Igoni »

Lucifer's daughter Cecilia attends a human school. She is afraid; which sounds impossible but is true in this case. I would like to read this book. Thank you for a splendid review!
Latest Review:
Ozochi Daniel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Ozochi Daniel »

Is it possible for lucifer's daughter to feel attracted towards Sebastian Nox an able bodied human?
Did her demonic self later hurt him in any way?
I would love to read this, i'm currious
thank for the review.
Mradul Tyagi
Currently Reading:

Post by Mradul Tyagi »

Oh my holy God!! So interesting one! The mighty princess of hell, the Lucifer daughter is so demonic even death fears her! I got stuck to it! Amazing plot. A must read.
KarFulMar
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by KarFulMar »

Oh boy! Lucifer's daughter just wants to fit in, just like any teenager. But she wants to fit in into a human world, and she IS Lucifer's daughter, so just blending in might be a problem.
I can't wait to read this and find out how Cecilia fares.
Claudine Williams

Post by Claudine Williams »

Even the devil needs love too,Cecilia as proven that by emerging herself into society in the form of a ordinary high schooler, I haven’t even read it yet and I’m intrigued but she doesn’t know what she’s gotten herself into, high school is hard. Thanks for the review
Angel_gaze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angel-gaze.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Angel_gaze »

The princess of hell goes to high school sounds like a brilliant premise for a novel. I'm intrigued to hear more about her relationships with Sebastian and Alexander. Thanks for your detailed review.
A balanced life is a cup of tea in one hand and a book in the other :wink:

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”