Review by Samantha Brehm -- Heroes of Atlantis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samantha Brehm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-brehm.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Review by Samantha Brehm -- Heroes of Atlantis

Post by Samantha Brehm »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heroes of Atlantis" by Ryan Carriere.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heroes of Atlantis: Legend of the Dragon Runes by Ryan Carriere is part of a two-book series that follows the parallel story of Roeg and Sephonei as they both find their place in the world. Roeg finds himself adopted into a clan of warriors in which he is expected to prove his worthiness. Sephonei is dropped off on the outer rings of Atlantis and expected to not only know all about the dragon runes but also be able to hunt them. Her challenge is being thrust into dangerous situations with absolutely no knowledge or training. Can Roeg and Sephonei find their way and learn about the dragon runes along the way?

Carriere writes an incredibly well thought out story that was fast-paced and interesting. It’s a short read and it kept me so enthralled that I read the entire book in one sitting. This is a new take on a traditional Atlantis plot, while still having ties to the unknown city. Writing this story as a parallel story with two main characters has the potential to make it cluttered and confusing, but Carriere does an excellent job of keeping each storyline equally face-paced while still being very accessible. Roeg and Sephonei each have their struggles throughout the book, but I found it compelling that they are both trying to find answers about what exactly dragon runes are and how they work.

A story about Atlantis will always be something I gravitate towards, however, I wish there had been more history spoken about the Atlantis of this world, as well as a better history of the dragon runes. This may be discussed, and a large part of the next book in the series, but I felt this could have this novel could have benefitted from a little more explanation.

I give Heroes of Atlantis: Legend of the Dragon Runes 4 out of 4 stars. There are so many novels with Atlantis as their focus, but this actually felt like a different approach to an excessively written topic. I am very eager to read the second book in the series to find out the conclusion. Overall this was a great, fast read that has everything from friendship, mystery, adventure, and even a little magic.

Heroes of Atlantis: Legend of the Dragon Runes is a great young adult read. If you have an interest in the mythical Atlantis and like adventure, mystery, and some great friendships this is a perfect read. You definitely don’t have to love fantasy to enjoy this book. Altogether this book was a wonderful read and I look forward to reading its culmination in the second book.

Heroes of Atlantis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”