Official Review: Theorie of the Storm by Jane Delaney

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Theorie of the Storm by Jane Delaney

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Theorie of the Storm" by Jane Delaney.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Theorie of the Storm is the first book of the dark fantasy series, The Forgotten Fae, by Jane Delaney. In the fictional city of Dynas Rhydent, Theorie is working toward becoming a Magi by her nineteenth birthday; unfortunately, she knows that her powers are weak. Although she would love to leave the city and live her life independently, her inevitable failure means that she will no longer have control over her own life. Her worries quickly become the least of her problems when she meets Kyte, who appears to be nothing more than a poor but charming dock worker. However, Kyte is working for a larger group of criminals and has other plans to kidnap Theorie in order to obtain a hefty ransom from her wealthy guardian. Kyte’s associates turn against him, and both Theorie and Kyte end up on a ship to be sold as slaves. When a storm on the seas destroys the ship, Theorie takes advantage of the opportunity to use her magic to help them escape the ship and the storm. They wash up onto a Fae island that was thought to have disappeared five hundred years earlier. With a curse on the island that does not allow anyone to leave, the castaways are now trapped on an island with horrible beasts, waning magic, and a group of Fae who do not trust humans.

This book contains all of my favorite elements of an epic fantasy: action, adventure, and chaos. There are a lot of events that happen relatively quickly at the beginning of the book, and when too much happens at once, it is easy for readers to get lost. I did not experience this at all when reading this book. The overall pacing of the book was excellent. Even with a lot of problems arising, scenes changing, perspectives switching, and characters developing, it was very easy to keep up with what was happening in the plot with all of the intertwining characters.

As the main character, Theorie is easy to like and understand, and it is enjoyable to see how she changes from the spoiled, rich girl in the beginning of the story to a strong woman who can use her magic to help those around her. She still has her flaws and comes across as a bit selfish throughout the book, but it is easy to understand her attitude of self-preservation after all that she has been through. Kyte is also an interesting character because I could not decide whether I was supposed to like him or hate him. Even though he is a thief and a kidnapper, deep down he wants to be a good person and make a better life for himself.

There were so many surprises and twists within the story, especially at the ending. I don’t think this book would work well as a standalone book, so I would only recommend reading it if you are prepared to continue on to the next book in the series. I cannot stop thinking about what happened at the end of this book, and I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series as soon as possible. I usually don’t like endings with cliffhangers, but this one was so well-executed that it definitely hooked me into the series.

In general, I believe that the writing is excellent. Unfortunately, I did find a total of 15 errors within the book. They are all very minor errors that are spread out throughout the book, and they did not impact my enjoyment of the book in any way. Given that the book is so long (424 pages), I personally don’t believe that 15 is a large number of errors.

The book does contain profanity and one scene of relatively mild adult content. I still believe the book would be suitable for most young adults who enjoy fantasy novels, especially those containing magic and Fae, and I highly recommend this book. Overall, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars, with a one-star deduction due to the number of errors.

Theorie of the Storm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

Dark fantasies aren't my favourite genre, but the plot here draws me to the book. I'd love to find out how they survived the Fae Island.

Great review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's good to hear about how Theorie changed from being a spoiled rich girl to a helpful and strong one. Kyte is a good guy at heart doing bad things. Thanks for a Great Review!
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Dark fantasies with a tinge of magic and adventure. Definitely makes for an exciting read. Great review.
Pollux_hun
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Pollux_hun »

Dark fantasies are my thing, the plot in this book is amazing got me all concentrated, now I'm trying to figure out how they survived fae island.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

A dark fantasy and character development that leads to a strong female character. I love it! Thanks for the great review
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

This sounds like an enthralling lead. The twist of Kyte's accomplices turning on him and Theorie's growth is quite interesting. Thank you for a lovely review!
Miki123
Currently Reading: An Improbable Life
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Miki123 »

Having observed that this book contains all of my favorite elements of an epic fantasy: action, adventure, and chaos, it is good to get inspired from the occurrences in the book.
Though the book didn't get 4 out of 4 rating, it's still awesome to appreciate the hardwork.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This sounds like a pretty great fantasy novel. It is a shame about the errors you found but if they don't deter from the writing I'd love to give this a read. Great review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”