Official Review: Replaced Parts by Stephanie Hansen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Replaced Parts by Stephanie Hansen

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Replaced Parts" by Stephanie Hansen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Replaced Parts is the first book of the Transformed Nexus series by Stephanie Hansen. Set in a dystopian world more than 100 years in the future, Sierra has the potential to become a great doctor or scientist, following in the footsteps of her father. Sierra dreams of being reunited with her father, who inexplicably disappeared when she was younger. When she discovers a clue that could lead to her father’s whereabouts, Sierra changes her identity in order to board a spacecraft headed to another planet. Planet Vortex might be known as a research and technology epicenter, but it is far from the utopia that Sierra had envisioned. With residents having little more freedom than prisoners, a revolt is brewing. Sierra soon finds herself responsible for saving not only her father, but also herself and the other residents of the desert planet.

I cannot begin to stress how much I enjoyed this book. It’s an excellent story that contains a nice blend of dystopian science fiction and innocent, young adult romance. I especially enjoyed the scientific descriptions that were incorporated into the plot; I have read other stories that become extremely complicated with such inclusions, but that did not happen in this book. The science behind all of the technology was very easy to follow, and it transformed the story into a more speculative science fiction category. Even though it is science fiction, it is easy to imagine that the future portrayed in this book is possible. The book contains space travel and medical research for organ implants, which we already have to an extent, and this book takes that reality and stretches it just a little bit further than what we can already do. It never reaches a point of unrealistic or unbelievable, which kept me hooked and questioning what kind of scientific advances we might expect within our own lifetimes.

There were a few surprises within the text that will keep me thinking about what might happen in the next book in the series, which I certainly plan on reading when it is available. This book could work as a standalone novel, but there are still quite a few unanswered questions and loose ends that were not tied up by the end of the book. I wouldn’t necessarily say that it has a cliffhanger ending (which I don’t like), but I know that some readers may not be satisfied with the sudden twists that occurred at the end of the book. I personally loved the ending of the book, and that’s a rare compliment to come from me.

I also enjoyed the characters and their complex personalities that developed throughout the story. Although Sierra is only sixteen, she comes across as a mature teenager, but with just the right amount of innocence and naïveté that we expect from someone her age. She has flaws and makes impulsive decisions, but I enjoyed that she (or any other character in the book) was not perfect. It was easy to relate to her and to cheer for her during her adventure across the universe.

On top of all of the great points of the plot and characters, the writing itself is also worth mentioning. There were only a handful of extremely minor errors throughout the book; they are easy to overlook, and they do not hinder the reading experience at all. I also appreciate the relatively “clean” content of the book, aside from a few well-placed swears. There are some scenes that contain pretty graphic imagery that may not be suitable for those with a weak stomach. Overall, I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I strongly recommend this book to young adult and adult readers who are looking for an unforgettable dystopian world.

Replaced Parts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

The protagonist seems like a very relatable character and the book has a storyline which I absolutely love. I will definitely add this book to my bookshelf. What a great review!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

I enjoy reading the YA genre, and with a dystopian setting, even better. This book sounds intriguing. Your excellent review has me adding this to my want-to-read shelf!
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

I really liked the title of the book and your review also captured my attention. The summery of the book has been well done. Thank you for the nice review.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

A futuristic dystopian story sounds like it would be an enjoyable read. The main character sounds likable which I appreciate. I will have to add this to my bookshelf.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

I love sci-fi books. And reading through this review, I seem to like it more. A good review you have here.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I love dystopian fiction, and your review is encouraging. You did a great job at not given away too much, but still just enough to get me looking for this title. Thanks!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I enjoy well-written dystopian novels. This sounds like a compelling one.
Mohd Sufiyaan
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Mohd Sufiyaan »

The summary of the book has been well done.this book sounds intriguing.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”