Official Review: Gods of Sound by QM Schaffer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Gods of Sound by QM Schaffer

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gods of Sound" by QM Schaffer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Cameron Foster's mother dies, he goes to live in a mansion with other musically talented kids like himself. This is no ordinary house, though. In addition to being musically gifted, they wield special guitars that harness the power of sound. Each has a different ability; one can bend the sound around objects to obliterate others. Another can cause fire. Together they make a formidable force. The question, though, is what exactly does the owner of the mansion want with all of them?

Gods of Sound by QM Schaffer is a young-adult novel. Fantasy with some superhero thrown in for good measure, it's a quick read at a little over 200 pages. There are adult themes and profanity. As such, I'd recommend it to high schoolers or adults.

My favorite part of this book was Cameron's character. Sometimes frustrating, he was extremely realistic. He had asthma and was constantly bullied. He started off as a normal kid. Even after he discovered his magical talents, he was no superhero with asthma attacks often coming at the most inopportune times. He downplayed his talents in order for others to like him more. It's encouraging to the rest of us who are simply normal, without magical abilities, that we, too, can make a difference.

Likewise, the other characters are equally interesting. Each has his or her own background. Each has his or her own quirks. For instance, one flips off every one and every thing. Can you guess his nickname? (It's Flipper.) Their uniqueness made me want to continue reading.

Also, I enjoyed how captivating the book was. There were twists and turns that I didn't see coming. More than that, though, I was invested in the story, wanting to know how it all turned out. Even those with short attention spans would become engrossed in the book in a matter of a few short pages.

There were only a few small detractors. First, some of the story was a little unbelievable. For example, when entering a facility with airtight security, the guards don't even question them wearing suction cup headsets attached to their guitars. At the very least, I believe they would have asked why the headsets were necessary. There were only a very few of these moments in the story, though.

The largest problem with the story was the editing. I ran across many errors. These ranged from missing or extra punctuation to misspelled words. It's clear that another round of proofreading is needed to solve these issues.

In summary, Gods of Sound is an enjoyable novel that I award 3 out of 4 stars. The removal of a star comes simply from the need for more editing. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys novels involving everyday people who rise above in an almost fantastical way. It wouldn't be for anyone who is triggered by bullying or cultish behavior. Of note, though the main plot arcs are mostly wrapped up, the author leaves some loose ends that could signal a sequel. If so, I, for one, would be more than happy to read it.

Gods of Sound
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This book sounds like it has a unique storyline, especially with the guitars, and would be interesting to read. Thank you for your great review!
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It seems like an interesting plot although the errors spotted and the detractors would probably require the author reconsidering some stuff. Thanks for a great review!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

It sounds like a very relaxed book that I will definitely enjoy. Thank you for sharing.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very promising YA novel :) I like your description of the main character very much! I always prefer books with well-developed protagonists :) Thanks for a great review!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I've noticed that many young adult books tend to have unbelievable parts. Glad it didn't take away from your reading experience though. The premise of this book sounds quite different. I like the take of using music. I guess it does need one more round of editing as you said. Thank you for the review!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

The story seems captivating and the characters relatable. This book is definitely something I have not come across before and would like to read because of this wonderful review.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

I thought this book would remind of my early teens and mid teens age. the book would be a relaxing read as such.
Signature of Grace.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Smmwallace wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 03:31 This book sounds like it has a unique storyline, especially with the guitars, and would be interesting to read. Thank you for your great review!
Yes, I haven't heard of anything quite like it. It was find and enjoyable. I hope there's a second one.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Dimi1 wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 03:50 It seems like an interesting plot although the errors spotted and the detractors would probably require the author reconsidering some stuff. Thanks for a great review!
Yes, but it's still worth reading. I enjoyed it despite the errors. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Mtibza eM wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 04:47 It sounds like a very relaxed book that I will definitely enjoy. Thank you for sharing.
I enjoyed it. I recommend it greatly. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ellylion wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 06:06 Sounds like a very promising YA novel :) I like your description of the main character very much! I always prefer books with well-developed protagonists :) Thanks for a great review!
The characters were a definite strong point. They weren't just these perfect protagonists. Fun all the way around. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

RayRuff wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 06:12 I've noticed that many young adult books tend to have unbelievable parts. Glad it didn't take away from your reading experience though. The premise of this book sounds quite different. I like the take of using music. I guess it does need one more round of editing as you said. Thank you for the review!
The use of music is unique. I loved the guitars. It's a great book which I highly recommend. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Precious Naiti wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 09:28 The story seems captivating and the characters relatable. This book is definitely something I have not come across before and would like to read because of this wonderful review.
It's a wonderful book with a premise that's very unique. I highly recommend it. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

GideonWrites Review wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 18:20 I thought this book would remind of my early teens and mid teens age. the book would be a relaxing read as such.
I love young adult books. They are usually clean, quick reads, and fun. This is no exception. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”