Official Review: Neptune's Window by L L Lewin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Neptune's Window by L L Lewin

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Neptune's Window" by L L Lewin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Neptune’s Window: First Glance is the first book of an exciting trilogy by L L Lewin. Designed to appeal to young adult audiences, the story captures teen drama and paranormal activity from a fresh perspective. Aries Dade is the new girl at Newport Beach High School. But, she isn’t just an ordinary sophomore. She can communicate with spirits. Sadly, Aries struggles to communicate with her recently deceased mother. Other spirits try to help, but Aries is skeptical about their real motives. Slowly, she begins to unravel the bizarre truth surrounding her mother’s death. Additionally, her school life is inundated with parties, homework, bullies, and crushes. The star quarterback, Cory, and an intriguing loner, Damon, both vie for Aries’ attention much to the dismay of the notorious P-Pack (Peyton, Paige, and Piper - a group of popular girls). Can Aries juggle her busy teen life, keep the afterlife at bay, and solve the mystery surrounding her mother?

The paranormal features of this book were my favorite things to read about. It was really exciting to read about a teenaged medium. I was intrigued by the way Aries traced letters and symbols while she was talking to the spirits. She was able to recognize some spirits either by their energies or smells. For example, she smelled tobacco smoke whenever her grandfather’s spirit was near. Others made themselves known to her through animals. One spirit caused a buzzing sound in her head when it tried to get her attention. Sometimes, Aries felt temporary pain in certain body parts while she communicated with a spirit. It usually meant that the person had a major injury or disease there when they were alive. Reading about these things gave me insights into the way spirits might communicate with mediums.

Astrology is something I have been interested in for a long time. It is refreshing to see it portrayed in a story. Firstly, Aries is named after her zodiac sign. Secondly, Neptune represents illusions, spirituality, and mystery. Neptune is also the God of the Sea. There are several mysteries that both Aries and the reader have to figure out. The story is also set in a seaside town. It is interesting to see how Neptune’s influence envelops the story.

Teen drama made up a large part of this book. I liked reading about the popular girls, daily school-life, and the love triangle that Aries became involved in. A lot of modern issues surfaced throughout the book too, such as party-going, drug and alcohol use, and cyber-bullying. The author did a great job in creating a credible social setting for her characters. I wholeheartedly recommend Neptune’s Window: First Glance to young adults and teens who are interested in astrology and paranormal activity.

I would have liked to award this book a perfect rating because Aries was an enchanting main character and the story encapsulated exciting paranormal concepts, astrology, and a suitable amount of teen drama. However, there was one thing that prevented me from doing so. Several errors were found, particularly in the dialogues. Errors like poor punctuation and misspelled words were distracting. I think another round of editing will be beneficial. Due to this, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars.

Neptune's Window
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

The ability to communicate with spirits is one that makes me cringe. Great review.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Kennedy NC wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 15:26 The ability to communicate with spirits is one that makes me cringe. Great review.
Thank you for sharing a comment!
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

This story seems like something I would have been all over if it was a movie and also if i were still a teenager. I love the concept and I feel the recommendation is justified. Great review!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Precious Naiti wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 09:56 This story seems like something I would have been all over if it was a movie and also if i were still a teenager. I love the concept and I feel the recommendation is justified. Great review!
Thank you! I also think it would be an intriguing movie for teens!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love reading paranormal books. I am not a teenager, but it probably would still be one I might enjoy! Thanks for your informative and interesting review!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Prisallen wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 15:19 I love reading paranormal books. I am not a teenager, but it probably would still be one I might enjoy! Thanks for your informative and interesting review!
I do hope you get a chance to check out this book. I think you would enjoy it although you aren't a teen. Thank you for popping by to leave a comment!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

After reading the review and learning about Supernatural powers of Aries is both scary and impressive. I liked your review but cannot say the same for the book's storyline. Not my cup of tea
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Kavita Shah wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 02:05 After reading the review and learning about Supernatural powers of Aries is both scary and impressive. I liked your review but cannot say the same for the book's storyline. Not my cup of tea
That's fine too, different books (and genres) will appeal to different readers. Thank you for commenting.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

This sounds like an excellent book. I like the names of the characters and I grew up by the beach. This sounds like a story I would enjoy.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Devika Mehra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-mehra.html
Latest Review: The Druid Twins by Adam P Maxted

Post by Devika Mehra »

Great review! It’s interesting how the author has discussed important modern social issues such as cyber-bullying and alcohol/drug use along with other aspects of teen drama.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”