Official Review: Marijuana Mermaid by David-Matthew Barnes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Marijuana Mermaid by David-Matthew Barnes

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Marijuana Mermaid" by David-Matthew Barnes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After a troublesome past in Chicago, seventeen-year-old Leah Cassels is being sent to live with her father in California. Her mother hopes this will be good for Leah by changing her current trajectory. When she arrives in Seaside Heights, it doesn't take long for her to fall victim to the lure of Monica and Sabina. The girls have it all—beauty, affluence, and power.

At first, Leah feels grateful for all the attention and how easily she's transitioned into her new school. Still, when things seem too good to be true, they usually are. Monica has proven herself to be quite the vindictive friend—turning people against one another, engaging in illegal and dangerous activities, and tearing others down without a morsel of regret. Monica is the epitome of mean, and Leah knows that if she has any hope of graduating without a criminal record, she needs to distance herself from the girls.

Still, Monica keeps upping the ante, and Leah is worried that she'll be the next person to get on her bad side. What will Leah do?

Marijuana Mermaid by David-Matthew Barnes is a YA novel about friendship, family, and identity. Told from the first-person perspective, readers follow Leah Cassels as she tries to find her place in a new town where fitting in is everything. On top of being the new girl, Leah must adapt to her parents getting a divorce, her father's new wife, and Monica's attempts to control her every move.

My favorite thing about the book was the main character. Leah is funny and likable, but flawed which I think will be relatable to teen readers. Like many kids her age, she is struggling with being a product of a broken family. I definitely think that some of her poor choices are a result of this, and I applaud the author for addressing the plight of being a kid with divorced parents. I also loved her quick wit and her ability to stand up for what she believes in—if something didn't sit well with her, she wasn't afraid to voice her opinion, even if it didn't win her any popularity points with Sabina and Monica.

I loved the book for the most part, but I disliked the rapid pace of events in the last quarter. Several new conflicts were introduced and quickly resolved, which I think took away from the story. Relationship changes, medical emergencies, disappearances, saying goodbye, etc., were all things that seemed to happen or be resolved at a dizzying rate. Making the book longer or slowly weaving these into the storyline could have steadied the frenzied pace.

Marijuana Mermaid had no spelling or grammar issues, and I can happily report that it was professionally edited. The book was engaging, and Leah's character resonated with me, but as stated earlier, I was disappointed with the rushed pace, particularly towards the end of the book. With that being said, I have chosen to give the book a rating of three out of four stars.

I would recommend the novel to teens who love books about what goes on in high school. This book definitely reminded me of the movie Mean Girls. It had some funny moments and some darker ones, so if you like that type of movie, you'll love Marijuana Mermaid. On the contrary, for readers who didn't have the conventional high school experience, this book may not resonate with you.

Marijuana Mermaid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Too much teen drama for me and I'm thrown off by the title. Still, I can see the appeal to teenagers.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

Thanks for the great review! Sounds like an interesting story.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

To be honest what can be gleaned from the title is totally different from the explanation in the review but reading further the part that I feel was relatable to many homes is having to as a child adapt to a parents divorce. I believe it does more psychological damage than actually spoken of.
Great Review !
Stephanie Elizabeth

teacherjh wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 15:08 Too much teen drama for me and I'm thrown off by the title. Still, I can see the appeal to teenagers.
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Jasy95 wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 15:37 Thanks for the great review! Sounds like an interesting story.
Thank you :)
Stephanie Elizabeth

Eddy E wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 15:43 To be honest what can be gleaned from the title is totally different from the explanation in the review but reading further the part that I feel was relatable to many homes is having to as a child adapt to a parents divorce. I believe it does more psychological damage than actually spoken of.
Great Review !
Thanks for your comment!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

Being a parent of a teen myself, I think this book sounds very relatable to teenagers. It seems like there's always one in the bunch that's the troublemaker, lol, so I like that the main character stands up for herself and what she believes in. Thank you for your informative and great review!
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Nice review. Tho I don't think I'd be reading this anytime soon.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

I like the title but I'm not seeing how it fits in with the novel, but maybe that would give away too many spoilers. I don't love teen drama books, but at the same time, my niece is experiencing bullying at her school so I am on the look-out for books that would help her see herself not as the person who deserves to be treated poorly, but as a person who doesn't deserve it. Thank you for your review!
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Thanks for the review . I’m looking forward to reading this
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

Great review! This book wouldn't be my cup of tea though, but I could see many teens enjoying this book.
Noriel DM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noriel-dm.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by Noriel DM »

The character of the protagonist is what I like in here. You did a great review of the book. Thank you for an interesting review.
We are all unique in our own ways :D
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

I loved reading the review. The title of the book captured my attention and the review shows me that the book does not disappoint. Seems very interesting and entertaining.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”