Official Review: Her Dirty Blood by Geralene sukhoo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Her Dirty Blood by Geralene sukhoo

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Her Dirty Blood" by Geralene sukhoo.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Her Dirty Blood is the first book in the Haley Das series by Geralene Sukhoo. In this young adult fantasy, nineteen-year-old Haley leaves her home in New York for her grandfather’s funeral in Alberta, Canada, not realizing that she won’t be returning. Much to the surprise of her family, her wealthy grandfather has left his entire estate and his business to Haley. Her life changes even more when someone attempts to murder her at the funeral, and Haley discovers that she has connections to three separate supernatural beings. All signs point to Haley being the one to fulfill a great prophesy. Will Haley find out who wants her dead? And how will she ever be able to handle everything that she’s just been handed?

Three different supernatural worlds come together in this book in addition to Haley’s original human world. With so many worlds and supernatural beings merging, there are so many characters and plotlines intertwining all at once. Haley’s family alone is huge, and then Haley begins taking over her grandfather’s business and dealing with all of those partners as well. It was extremely difficult to keep up with all of the characters, especially the business partners. I also found it a little strange, and way too coincidental, that all of the main business partners are young, attractive men who take an interest in Haley. Even more young, attractive men, all meticulously identified as being between 6’1” and 6’7” in height, join the cast as the story progresses.

Despite so many characters and plotlines going on at once, portions of the text were painfully slow-paced. There were paragraphs and more paragraphs, multiple times throughout the book, describing the outfits that each of the characters were wearing. Designer brand names like Valentino and Chanel were dropped so many times, I would have made a drinking game out of it if I didn’t have a fear of alcohol poisoning.

Although this book is labeled as a young adult book, I should caution potential readers that it would be more appropriate for older teens or “new adults” who can handle strong language, graphic violence, and erotic scenes. There is quite a lot of each of these throughout the text, so it would not be appropriately for younger teens.

One of the most notable things about the book is that it appears to be a first draft. There are so many errors scattered throughout the book; I found more than 10 within the first 9 pages of the book. One of the most noticeable errors occurs every time the number “2” is used. It is always written as the word “two” even when it is used within another number. So “20” and “21” come out like “two0” and “two1” several times throughout the book. My personal favorite error was when the main character described herself on page 12: “This cold made me look fairer than my usual tan self, which made my black hair look ravenous.” I can only assume that her hair wasn’t actually hungry, just as black as a raven.

Overall, I just didn’t like this book for many reasons, so I give it a rating of 1 out of 4 stars. There were so many tropes throughout this book, I found myself rolling my eyes and laughing at parts that should have been serious or suspenseful. There were too many characters (all stereotypical, beautiful people without any flaws, of course), too many stories to follow, and too much unnecessary filler that dragged the story out even more. On top of all of this, the typos and errors interrupted the flow of the story so much, I almost gave up reading several times. In its current form, I do not recommend this book to anyone who is looking for an enjoyable read.

Her Dirty Blood
View: on Bookshelves
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

I've encountered this kind of book: overly perfect characters, unrealistic plot, unnecessarily erotic content, and a frustrating amount of errors. I hope the author works on the book.
You did a good review.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

Oh my goodness. Unfortunately, this book sounds like it was unpleasant to read. With the unnecessary excessive name dropping, shallow characters, and numerous typos and errors, I will pass on reading it. Thank you for your honest and informative review!
R_Royalty+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_Royalty+ »

A lot going on. This piece is all around the place and need to be perfected more. Great storyline but I would've made the book more personal (that gets readers interested). Overall it was very pleasent to read
Noriel DM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noriel-dm.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by Noriel DM »

Thanks for the informative review. Sadly, I won't read this book as it sounds unpleasant to read.
We are all unique in our own ways :D

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”