The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
candcandy19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-candcandy19.html

Re: The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Post by candcandy19 »

I loved The Hunger Games and loved how the world was and how different the people where and weren't from us. That being said I also liked the world of Divergent I liked the idea of fractions and how different fractions lived, but I only read the first book of the Divergent series as every time I tried to the second I ended up getting bored and stopped reading it, however I read all The Hunger Game books.
mduchene
Currently Reading: Good to Great
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mduchene.html

Post by mduchene »

While these books both are in the same genre, it is hard to compare the two, as they are very different reads. However, I personally prefer The Hunger Games series, due to the character development seen throughout the stories and how the story resonated more with me personally than Divergent did. I have an affinity for both series' as I think they have solid story lines, however I feel that Divergent jumped around a bit in the story and I also had a harder time relating to and liking the main character as compared to The Hunger Games.
BGolson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BGolson »

I definitely liked Hunger Games better. Both the books and the movies. It was easier to connect with the characters and almost feel what they were feeling.
Kayhoff24

Post by Kayhoff24 »

I have read both and completely love both of them! I don't know if I could truth pick a favorite ! But there are different things that I like about them that the other doesn't have. Hunger gems I loved more for the action and drama of it. Divergent on the other hand was just so different and new and also I was completely obsessed for the love story ! Both are just completely amazing !
Eva_87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-87.html

Post by Eva_87 »

I am going to have to go with divergent series here even though I have yet to read the last installment.
The first Hunger Games installment was amazing and great and I was hooked with the exciting and well developed new world, the topics the book brought up, and obviously the plot and characters. However I feel Suzanne Collins got flustered with all the ideas she wanted to incorporate into the next installments and some parts of the novel fell short of their predecessor. I feel like the romance was capitalized too much and yet I never felt that love truly formed between Peta and Katniss I just felt that their was a certain kinship between them. The romance was talked about and expressed here and there but there was few moments where it felt that the characters were starting to fall in love. I still think highly of this book but I believe it would have been better if the romance wasn't such a big detail in the series.
(sorry I went on that mini-rant I have just wanted to get this out there for a while now)
The Divergent series I have yet to finish and I don't know when I am going to :shifty: . The first book was great and I easily fell in love with the plot line and how there was a false climax. The romance felt real, the details were beautifully written and the world that was created was shocking. However I barely remember the second book by the time it had come around I had moved farther from the dystopian novel scene and I read because I felt a sense of duty to continue the series. But I completely forgot about Allegiant when it came out. Whoops. I am choosing the divergent series because I loved the first book more than I loved the whole series of the Hunger Games.
CLRogers90
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clrogers90.html
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar

Post by CLRogers90 »

I feel like there isn't really a contest between these two series. I have read them both and, while I enjoyed each of them immensely, I have to say the The Hunger Games is certainly my favorite of the two.

Though each of them borrowed from other source material, it felt like Suzanne Collins took an old idea and modified it with a morbid, yet mature voice, then added her own unique story to the mix. It used old themes to fit a new, original story.

However, if it tells you anything, I can't even remember the name of the author of the Divergent series to start off with. Though I enjoyed Divergent and the following books in the series, I feel like it was extremely unoriginal. I can truly understand borrowing themes and building on them, because, honestly, I can't think of anyone who doesn't do that at this point. Divergent, unfortunately went beyond borrowing themes. By taking the most popular young adult novels at the time and shoving them into one, I feel like the author did a real dis-service to the series. It had the potential to be so much more, and ended up taking from greater works of fiction then falling a bit flat.

If you haven't read either series, then I would highly recommend putting aside some time to read The Hunger Games. I can almost guarantee that you will take something away from it. The films based on the series are almost just as good (In their own way)...Almost.

As for Divergent, it is certainly worth looking into if you have a few minutes to spare. It is, if nothing else, entertaining. Just do me a favor and don't go see the films. (Don't do it. )

CR
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar
BookLover25
Currently Reading: Life and Death
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover25.html

Post by BookLover25 »

I agree. I mean I loved both series, but I connected more with the writing of "The Hunger Games". The Divergent series was more hard to get into, but I enjoyed it in the end.
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by batkinson6490 »

I read both series as well and loved both. I must admit that the last books in each series bored me a bit but I made it through and think both series, in their own ways were great overall.

The Hunger Games has this raw emotion in it about people not wanting to see the sacrifice of their friends and family until you are introduced to the higher districts. I like how each district has a dynamic of it's own but I like how the book turns for the 75th quarter quell and how we learn about the other district, etc, etc. The plot changes through the series are great and the author did a great job keeping it all together and believable.

The Divergent Series was also good in its own right regarding it's story line. I love the different factions and how they each have their own place in the world over all. I also love the turns they have in regards to the overhaul of the one faction and then in the end, when they realize what is really going on.

If I had to choose one, I would choose the Divergent books, but the Hunger Game movies. The Hunger Game movies were so on point and well done so we experience exactly what happened in the books. The Divergent books were great but I found the movies lacking a bit. Although Four is completely amazing to look at! :wink:
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
tulipsatnight
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tulipsatnight.html

Post by tulipsatnight »

I enjoyed the Hunger Games a bit more, I found that it had a bit more continuity through it, and I loved that the love story wasn't the main part, it was important, but not the most important aspect. Divergent was good, but I often felt overly frustrated, there was always a lot going on and not enough detail to each, so I was constantly going back and re-reading.
Dayza 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayza-2.html

Post by Dayza 2 »

I live bot series, but to be honest the last book of the hunger games just got lazy. I mean the ending was just crappy. They are really screwed up and he is having issues knowing if his memories are real or fake, and she went through hell... But they are still together?? What kind of ending is that? The divergent series was better. You want her to live but at least the ending makes sense. I love the follow up book about four. :D
clang3
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clang3.html

Post by clang3 »

I prefer the Hunger Games Trilogy to the Divergent Series.. The Hunger Games was such a unique idea and I really enjoyed the writing style of the author. Divergent definitely kept me interested but it doesn't stand out as a favorite dystopian novel for me.
Leighann-Marie
Currently Reading: Furious
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighann-marie.html
Latest Review: "Hardup" by J. Scott Matthews

Post by Leighann-Marie »

Primrose wrote:I read The Hunger Games recently - the first one only. It is the almost the same as a Japanese Movie called, Battle Royale. The idea of children competing and trying to kill each other until only one is left is not new.
I didn't know about this when I initially read the series until I described the series to my Fiance. He was like "Is it intentionally based off of "Battle Royale"? I had know idea what he was talking about so we watched it and sure enough. It obviously has some fundamental differences but I have to believe that it was definately a consideration when The Hunger Games was thought up.
The Hunger Games is definitely written with a bit less graphic violence but it draws on the exact same premise.
Latest Review: "Hardup" by J. Scott Matthews
jenniferliu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferliu.html

Post by jenniferliu »

I wasn't a huge fan of both series however I slightly preferred Divergent over the Hunger Games since I found it more exciting and the character Tris more relatable.
Mcbookpersonisuppose
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcbookpersonisuppose.html

Post by Mcbookpersonisuppose »

Personally I preferred the Hunger Games series over Divergent. The main character in Divergent, Tris, really made me mad, especially at the end of the 3rd book. The other characters weren't really explored at all. It was easier for me to relate with the characters of the Hunger Games and therefore easier to immerse myself in the story.
kscasmith

Post by kscasmith »

I have yet to read the Divergent series but I personally loved the Hunger Games!! The books kept me enthralled til the end - and then when the movies came out, I was not as interested. So I take it the Divergent series is a must read?!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”