The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Re: The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Post by RussetDivinity »

I quite liked both, though I think I prefer the Hunger Games by a slight margin. While Katniss did at times seem like she could have been written more complexly, I was glad that she had to actually deal with the trauma of what she went through, and that the author showed her struggling to adjust to having a semi-normal life. I also thought that the Divergent series could get a little preachy at times, and that it felt a bit too far removed from our world to be a proper dystopia.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Ariel113
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ariel113 »

I really enjoyed The Hunger Games and The Divergent series and I'm not sure I can pick between the two. The Hunger Games appealed to me through Katniss's bravery and her ability to overcome adversity. I liked the story line of Divergent and the way it developed throughout the series. Overall, I really liked both of the series and they're both one of my top 10 favorites.
SammiT
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammit.html
Reading Device: B004D1OBFW

Post by SammiT »

I have personally read only The Hunger Games trilogy, though I recently bought Divergent because I enjoyed the movie. I really enjoyed the dystopian setting that both of them have (it's a recurring theme in more recent books and movies,) though I never liked Mockingjay. Oddly enough I liked the third movie more than I liked the third book, purely for cinematography reasons. I plan to read Divergent soon though, hopefully it lives up to the hype. :)
agraham1988
Currently Reading: A Kiss for Christmas
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agraham1988.html

Post by agraham1988 »

I prefer Hunger Games over Divergent. I didn't like Triss at all and her personality was really off-putting to me. Hunger Games in my opinion was an easier world to visualize. The author did a good job of describing everything, where I had a little bit harder time picturing the setting in Divergent.
andriah1999
Currently Reading: School of Deaths
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andriah1999.html

Post by andriah1999 »

I'm sad to say that I like the Divergent series better. Except I do prefer The Hunger Games movies to the Divergent movies
kels_000000
Currently Reading: Rogue
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kels_000000 »

i love diveregnt
jbt 01
Favorite Author: A.G Howard
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbt-01.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by jbt 01 »

I read the divergent series but not the hunger games.I really enjoyed the divergent series I thought they were very exciting and they kept me hooked. :D
GingerBookWork

Post by GingerBookWork »

I enjoyed both the Hunger Games and the Divergent Series. I did read the Hunger Games first, and Divergent a few years later. I found myself enjoying the Hunger Games more when I was reading them. I thought each book was written very well. However, the last one was a little bit of a disappointment, and that is exactly how I feel about Divergent as well. The last book in the series was very disappointing, and I have no plans to ever re-read the series again because of it. I personally thought there was a lack of enthusiasm and creativity in the last book, Allegiant, than there was for the other two. This differs on my opinion of Mockingjay, because here I was disappointed with the last few chapters of the book, and I felt the ending was insufficient. The last few chapters of Allegiant, in my opinion, were decent, but the book as a whole was not. Apart from the last book in each trilogy, I greatly enjoyed both series and would recommend them to any young adult fan, but perhaps warn them first of my disappointment with the last books :)
Boyeam
Reading Device: B00V49LNCU

Post by Boyeam »

I love hunger games. Divergent was good also but by the end I was bored
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

The Hunger Games is better. Although from the Divergent series the first book was good, it just went downhill from there. Insurgent was bad, Allegiant worse. :( Let's see what they make of the last two movies.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
sunny_dazee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunny-dazee.html

Post by sunny_dazee »

I thought the Divergent triliogy had more substance than the norm killing everyone and overthrowing a dictator
Nerdy_Librarian[88]
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdy-librarian-88.html

Post by Nerdy_Librarian[88] »

I have read the Hunger Games and have read Divergent only. I love both series, due to the fact that they both have strong female leads. Not just in the fact that they grow as a character but the fact that they play such a pivotal point in radical changes in their societies. However, I am more drawn to The Hunger Games due to the fact that I find that the character chooses her role to make a stand and change. While the character in Divergent could have easily stepped aside and hid, she was more thrust into her role with not much choice in the matter with each of her decisions thrust upon her. I love the idea of the choice to take action and to make a change and stand.
Kyrstynnicole
Currently Reading: Zac and Mia
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrstynnicole.html

Post by Kyrstynnicole »

Honestly there are no similarities between the two books, only a dystopia and a little bit of romance, but each series is different in its own way, they don't even have a similar story.
book-of-mermaphants

Post by book-of-mermaphants »

I have read both the Hunger Games series and the Divergent series, but I have found that the Divergent series is just a watered down version of the Hunger Games. Though the whole last-man-standing situation with a Gladiator type of theme is not completely new to the world of books, the way that Suzanne Collins brings the readers in, and managing to get us emotionally attached with the characters is beyond the skills of Veronica Roth.
Though Veronica Roth is a good author, she just wasn't able to capture my attention within the first chapter, unlike Suzanne Collins, who had me hooked the first few pages, but that's just me. Both are very talented authors, but the way that Veronica Roth formed the Divergent series' "Tris", I discovered to be just a skinny, more whiny, big-eyed blonde Katniss wannabe. In my opinion, Beatrice was not leadership material, or inspiring through her actions like Katniss Everdeen.
All in all, the Hunger Games is definitely a more inspiring and entertaining read than the Divergent series, which only dragged you around on an unnecessarily crazy emotional rollercoaster.
gabbycro
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbycro.html

Post by gabbycro »

I loved the Hunger Games series when I read them with my friends. We tried to beat each other to see who would finish them first. I loved the character development in the series and the emotion throughout the books. I was able to relate to Katniss because of my own closeness to my younger sister. I did read the first book of the Divergent series, and after I read it I did not have the excitement to pick up the next book. I felt that a lot of the book was just filler chapters and nothing exciting went on until the very end. I did read a few pages of Insurgent, but I did not want to continue the series because I was bored whilst reading the first book and part of the second one.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”