The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReadingIsAGift
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10578">The Only Alien on the Planet</a>
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 82

Re: The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Post by ReadingIsAGift »

I read the full series of both, The hunger Games and Divergent, and I am all in favor of The Hunger Games.

The Hunger Games, they still remain regular humans, and in Divergent they kind of aren't.

In recent years i feel like more books are coming out with the underdog is the hero with some crazy talent, but The Hunger Games, their regular kids who learnt from their circumstances.

They worked hard for it, it was not something that was unexpected, it was just courage and love that allowed her to be where she was, not a lightning bolt or a inborn program.

Divergent was awesome and amazing, but we can not (at least not yet) scan someone to know what their powers are.

unless you believe scans are test papers and grades ( ;) you know what I mean)

Both books are awesome! Both authors are talented. But I remain partial to The Hunger Games.

Although I am aware that in both, there is unrealistic expectations for humans in out current time, The characters worked really really hard before they knew what exactly they were destined for.

:) my own opinion......

And I sure do hope none of them ever become true! because I definitely am not cool with the killing.
Hash
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hash.html

Post by Hash »

I have read both the trilogies and loved them immensely. Being a teen myself, i enjoy anything having mystery and a little depth. Both the series are being compared a lot these days, specially since both of them now have movies made.
I read the hunger games series first and realy loved them. The writing style, the whole story and the dystopian setup with a dash of romance made the books really fun for me.
Then i read the divergent series and got to know that the dystopian genre could be much more detailed and intricate. I loved it a lot too, better than the hunger games series actually. The whole storyline was better explained and the whole dystopian concept was more intricate. The story unfolds slowly and unpredictably, making it a much better read. The main character, Tris is also much more relatable and the writing style really makes your emotions get attached to her. Till the end, i felt Tris. The romance is also a little more than the hunger games series and there is no love triangle like in the hunger games series.
All in all, i loved both the series and would highly reccomend them both. But comparitively, i would say that the divergent series beat the hungef games series and is much more exciting and suspence-holding. :D
mommyofangels
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommyofangels.html

Post by mommyofangels »

Love both series.... Although it's been so long since I've read them, seeing the movies kind of Boggs my memory...
melissafaith25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissafaith25.html

Post by melissafaith25 »

I would say definitely Divergent is my favourite. It gives a good idea of how society works as well as teaching us life lessons such as fear does not shut you down it wakes you up. it is a good example of how a woman can be independent and not have to rely on a male.
steampunk_girl
Currently Reading: Turned
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steampunk-girl.html
Latest Review: "The Tale of Lord Zancrist" by April Patterson Clemens
Reading Device: B00H8VUGVC
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by steampunk_girl »

HUNGER GAMES ALL THE WAY! divergent is just a horrible put together series. In the hunger games you get the back story slowly but in divergent you just get it thrown at you. Also divergent is cutting allegiant into two parts but changing the name into asendant which I don't get also even though both series movie wise are choppy divergent left out more and just was worse with carrying on the plot
Latest Review: "The Tale of Lord Zancrist" by April Patterson Clemens
PoeticJava
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Currently Reading: Wicca
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poeticjava.html
Reading Device: B0051QVESA

Post by PoeticJava »

I was more enthralled and interested in The Divergent Trilogy. I actually couldn't get into the Hunger Games books until after I saw the movies. I loved the thought behind Divergent of being able to choose what life you wanted and in the fighting for what they believed in. It was a series that I couldn't put down and I bought the next book almost as fast as I finished the book prior to it. I didn't enjoy the Hunger Games as much because of the storyline of teens killing for someone else's enjoyment.
Raven1128
Currently Reading: What's Left of Me
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven1128.html

Post by Raven1128 »

I lean more towards Hunger Games. I loved the Divergent Series but the Hunger Games felt more real to me. The deaths and victories that took place were necessary and believable while Divergent started out strong, but I personally thought the ending could have been better. Hunger Games I think had much better plot and character development. Then again I may just be a little bias toward Hunger Games because the dystopian society that is described seems like a possible future.
Amber OConnor
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Amber OConnor »

I read The Hunger Games at the urging of my brother and ran through the series with late nights and not being able to put it down. I DVR'd the first Divergent movie before reading the book and then read all of the books in the series. While both series have their merits I have to say I lean towards The Hunger Games more than Divergent.

The Hunger Games left me satisfied beginning to end with the outcome of the story and how everything played out. I love the character of Katniss and her strength. She is a character that I want my daughter to emulate in many ways and is one that will resonate.

Divergent left me angry at the end of the book. My husband wanted to know why I was shouting but since he hasn't read them I couldn't tell him. He is used to me yelling at books or crying whichever it maybe but Divergent left me dissatisfied and angry. I like the characters but feel that they could be much more fleshed out. It was a really good book but the ending of the series made me angry.
Gypsyluna1

Post by Gypsyluna1 »

I have read both series and personally I preferred the Hunger Games Trilogy. The characters and story are much more developed and it was easier to get into those books. The Divergent Series felt unfinished at the end of the last book.
Augustus Waters
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-augustus-waters.html
Latest Review: "A Case of the Nasties" by David Rowell Workman

Post by Augustus Waters »

I'm going to have to say the Divergent Series because I feel like the characters have more depth in that one. None of the characters are entirely "good" or entirely "evil", they have at least some good aspects and some bad.
Also, in the beginning of The Hunger Games I liked Katniss but then she was driven to insanity and became less and less attractive.
Don't get me wrong, both series are really good but I like divergent better.
Latest Review: "A Case of the Nasties" by David Rowell Workman
Emily_allen

Post by Emily_allen »

I enjoyed both of these series and I am partial to Divergent. I understand why people say that it is a play off of HGs but they're not the same. I think it has to deal with the big dystopian society thing going on. There are many differentiating things about the two books but also many similarities as well.
zoelaurynn
Currently Reading: My Life on the Road
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoelaurynn.html

Post by zoelaurynn »

I read and enjoyed both series, but I am a much larger fan of The Hunger Games. For me, Tris was much too annoying of a character. Collins' characters were much more likable and much more pitiable. Though I did love the Divergent series, Tris made a series of bad choices beginning in Insurgent that resulted me liking her and the books slightly less.
Lezer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lezer.html

Post by Lezer »

I love both of the series, but the divergent series will always be my number one!
noorsawhney
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorsawhney.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Post by noorsawhney »

I read the Hunger Games first and thoroughly enjoyed it - and since then it has remained one of my favourite young adult series. I read the Divergent series, expecting it to be of the same standard but my feelings were mixed. I thought the first book was absolutely brilliant - well written with an exciting plot as well. However, Insurgent and Allegiant did not carry this on in my opinion. I felt that throughout these two books, the plot went downhill and no longer possessed the spirit and excitement of the first book. I was particularly disappointed by the final ending. A series should always end with a bang but this ending truly let the readers down. To conclude, I have a strong preference for the Hunger Games, but Divergent as a standalone book could rival it, not, however, the rest of the series.
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook
Roseena93

Post by Roseena93 »

I can understand why these two series are compared .

Both are forcing children to make adult decisions .both have a strong female lead character.
Both who are wreckless.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”