The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camille2020
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille2020.html

Re: The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Post by Camille2020 »

I have read all of the Hunger Games and informed that the Divergent Series would be a good one to begin since they are both dis-utopia type settings. I was disappointed by the first book in the Divergent series because I couldn't believe in the main character Tris and I didn't like the society they lived in. I couldn't imagine Tris being very strong or making much of a impact. Yes she is a divergent but I felt she was whiny and weak. I don't think she is a type of character that could lead a take down of an entire social system either. I didn't like the idea of teenagers choosing to leave a fraction. It makes for a lot of sob story "I lost my family and don't fit in here."
The Hunger Games beats Divergence because the character, Katniss, stays true to herself. I see that the damage done in the first book sticks with her until the end. Katniss did the right thing of protecting her little sister and Peeta from the games and attempted at keeping her loved ones and close friends alive in the turmoil of events. I could believe this off kiltered society more than Divergence. The country fought each other until one was destroyed. From there the Hunger Games wasn't suppose to last long just a distant memory that turned into a drawn out yearly television event for entertainment.
Obviously I am very partial to the Hunger Games because I felt the character connection early on. Thats my opinion take it or leave it.
taylorgad
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylorgad.html

Post by taylorgad »

I've read both The Hunger Games as well as the Divergent series, and I've seen the movies. I am partial to the Hunger Games because I felt that the plot and characters were far more developed than in the Divergent series. The quality of the writing and plotline drew me in to The Hunger Games much quicker. I also felt like there was more actually going on in The Hunger Games. Although similar, my opinion is that The Hunger Games executed perfectly what the Divergent series only attempted to create.
k8gladstone
Currently Reading: Hunt the Wolf
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k8gladstone.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by k8gladstone »

I liked both The Hunger Games and Divergent but I think between the two book formats I actually preferred Divergent. Katniss in writing just didn't do it for me. I found her hard to relate to and hard to feel anything for while Tris was more relatable for me. I didn't like katniss as a main character and could have done without her in the book altogether honestly. I don't think she added that much to the theme of the book. Divergent is my favorite of the two Book series for that reason alone but I was disappointed with the ending of Divergent. I think that the hunger games was more fluid in its writing and the ending made more sense to me. Allegiant felt rushed.
Last edited by k8gladstone on 31 Jan 2016, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Angellekell
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Angellekell »

Personally for me it was The Hunger Games. I personally felt that the writing style was a lot better. Also the story line was a lot more compelling and something that we could actually see happening in a post apotolyptic world.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I personally liked the books of The Hunger Games trilogy better than the books of the Divergent trilogy but I liked the movies of the Divergent series better than the movies of The Hunger Games series.
ANCD
Currently Reading: Left Behind
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ancd.html

Post by ANCD »

I loved both of these, but Hunger Games took the lead for sure.
I liked the story line of Divergent and the factions. I would have written the goal of Tris and Four differently. I would've preferred to see the factions come together and build their own, new city with a different type of "government."
I found Tris to be weaker than I would've portrayed her. I felt, all around, that there just wasn't enough to the Divergent series.

In the Hunger Games, Katniss lead the story-line very well. Her strength in the beginning carried the story along to the end of Mocking Jay without faltering.
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I read both of the series and I really enjoyed them. I couldn't pick a favorite from the two. Either way, I couldn't put the books down.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
Rachel2014

Post by Rachel2014 »

I have read all the Hunger Games books. I have tried several times to read the Divergent series. I keep starting it and putting it down. I know if I stick with it I would love it! It's been hard for this category lately to hold my attention.
Decemberflower18
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-decemberflower18.html

Post by Decemberflower18 »

I loved both series but for some reason i am more drawn to divergent and one of the reasons being is tris character and dynamics with four always get me. I can admit both series I think struggled with their final book..I feel that they lost some of their appeal. You can not go wrong with either, but as far as the worlds that they create I think hunger games gives you a better picture of the world their living in and the struggles of everyday life.
Kidmuffin

Post by Kidmuffin »

As far as this debate.... Did anyone else feel that the divergent series was poorly written at times? I don't like it when a author give S to many details but I had abit of a hard time with getting a clear picture with divergent. It was a great plot though!
Carmen
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carmen.html

Post by Carmen »

I have read both and remember having to wait almost a year for Allegiant to come out! I liked Hunger Games books 1 and 2 but regret reading the 3rd. It appeared that the author had different mindset and that she was writing the 3rd book with different views than the first two. With the Divergent series, I was drawn more to the dynamics of Tris and Four than with Hunger Games Katniss and Peta. Once again, the third book (Allegiant) made me almost regret having read it. This time for the ending. I would love to see a book where the two combine! and find out that Katniss and Tris are twins separated by President Snow and Jeanine.
Cdonnelly

Post by Cdonnelly »

This is a hard choice...a lot harder than I thought! Both books are great stories about women changing their futures but I have to say I really loved Hunger Games the best! I can not get over Katniss and Peeta!
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

In my opinion, The Hunger Games is a much better series. I think Collins is a much more talented writer than Roth--not to say that Roth is bad at what she does, but Collins is much better. Roth's books were very rushed and didn't draw me in like Collins'. Personally, I'd love to read The Divergent Series as written by Collins. I think they'd turn out much better that way.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
abithacker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abithacker.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by abithacker »

I have read the Hunger Games Series countless times and have completely fallen in love with them. Collins voice and writing style is one of the best I have ever read. The story is fresh, unique, and thought-provoking. Even though it is set in a futuristic dystopia, the books have a genuine, real-life feeling. The books flow really nicely and are an easy and enjoyable read. The love interest are realistic in their complexity and I appreciate the abandonment of the disney-like he's-the-one-for-me-I-just-know-it approach to romance. Katniss struggles to separate right from wrong especially since she has so many different influences, all which she either fears or respects (the Capitol, Gale, Peeta, her sister, Haymitch, etc.) This raw struggle draws in the reader: I can't help but feel Katniss's distress as she just tries to do what she thinks is right. Each book can stand alone with the strength of its story line and yet they fit seamlessly together in one great saga.

I have to admit, I never made it past the second book in the Divergent series, and I tried three times. The first book was engaging and had a plot line that was interesting and easy to follow. While the world of District 12 came out vary naturally in the Hunger Games, Roth was unable to create the same natural transition, and Mrs. Prior's world comes a little forced. The book is fast paced and action-packed. The action was written well, but the descriptions could sometimes be confusing or vague, for example the giant zip-line. The second book had much more going on, and the story was being made to move faster than what was really comfortable. The addition of romance turned me off a little as a reader. Personally, when the story line itself is confusing, I'd rather read a paragraph about the plot rather than Tris and Four making out. As far as inner struggles go, the romance definitely was obvious and a bit cliche. There was a little bit of controversy in the beginning when Prior must chose her faction, but after that her road is simple and direct; she doesn't face the level of moral conflict that Katniss does. The books definitely have their perks and the story is a good one, but quality-wise the books feel immature and elementary compared to the Hunger Games.

Over all the quality of the Hunger Games Series, in my opinion, is simply better than the Divergent Series.
LittleZed
Currently Reading: Rock
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlezed.html

Post by LittleZed »

To try and compare these two wonderful books is a bit hard for me. Whilst they both have a few similarities including very strong lead female characters with male companions who live in a dystopian world, they also are very different in their own rights.
Both Veronica Roth and Suzzane Collins have constructed these alternate realities so thoroughly and have spared no detail in describing the trials and tribulations both sets of characters undergo throughout each of these books, whilst also doing it in a completely different manner.
When reading both of these books I was unable to function like a normal human being as I was emersed fully into their world and could only eat, sleep and breathe each storyline. So for me to choose my absolute favourite is an almost impossible task.
They both turned me into an obsessive hermit and they both produced an epic book hangover after completing both series and I honestly couldn't gage which book had the leg up on the other.
Now the movies on the other hand, I don't even want to go down that path because we all know which one wins hands down!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”