The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Re: The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Post by flaming_quills »

I read and loved the Hunger Games but I couldn't get past the second book of the Divergent series mostly for the same reasons, I felt the characters were horribly under-developed and the narrative resembled the Hunger Games too much. It just didn't sit well with me.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I liked both series, but I liked The Hunger Games series more. I think the characters were a bit more developed, the fictional world more vivid, and the story line a bit more gripping. However, I thought both series were really well done. I feel like both authors reinvigorated the young adult dystopian genre. The stories were interesting and unique, and The Hunger Games in particular really made me think about ways in which societies control and manipulate. I love stories that make me think and both of these series did that.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I enjoyed both books but I definitely prefered Divergent. I liked that the romance between Tris and Tobias was a background story to everything else going on. Tris had so much else to think about and worry about for any sort of boy drama and I enjoyed that because it was more realistic. But I hated the love triangle in The Hunger Games because there's a whole war going on, Katniss has more important things to think about! But I did enjoy how both stories portrayed PTSD, I think they both got that so right and it's something that rarely included in books despite characters always going through such traumatic things.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

Having read both series, I thought they both had really good concepts but didn't necessarily deliver on them. The Hunger Games really explored the idea well up until the third book where I felt like it became a bit predictable and I missed the stories in the arena. With the divergent series, I became really bored after the first book and even battled to get through the second. So, for me, I found the Hunger Games a much better read.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Hunger Games all the way. Divergent had a strong premise but was very poorly fleshed out. Don't even get me started on the ending.
Tiffanyli
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyli.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tiffanyli »

I read both the series. I think overall the hunger game books were better but between the first book in the two series, divergent was better.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I will compare the books for both series. They are both equally entertaining! They are hard to compare because Hunger Games shows survival when the characters aren't given a choice, and the Divergent series shows survival when characters do have a choice.

The one thing that bothers me the most comes on the Hunger Games side. Collins is a powerful writer. She did a superb job of letting the characters develop themselves in their own time, and the pacing is not overwhelming. She was descriptive with the scenery. The one thing I think the book didn't quite do justice in is the nature of the circumstances. These youngsters are being sent off to murder each other, an order straight from the government, and left in an environment like wild animals. I just felt that things could have been a bit more gorey. Maybe more of a twisted scene here and there. Show us how raw, serious, and morbid this predicament truly is.

The Divergent series gives us a better look into the human psyche. In the society that they live in, yes it is just as messed up as the society of Hunger Games, but people are literally forced to make tough decisions every moment of their life, the Dauntless in particular. They risk their lives every day, every moment. I love that the Dauntless crew choose to be a part of a group like that. And if they make the "wrong" choice, they face the most dangerous consequences. The story is a great reminder that sometimes you have to do messed up things before messed up things are done to you.

But perhaps that's just my thirst for the dark side. :angelic-red: :icon-twisted:
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I definitely prefer The Hunger Games. I think it's one of the most influential books of this century to the point where dozens of books tried to imitate it but none quite as good. A bit like Lord of the Rings in that sense.
Joy Catap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-catap.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Joy Catap »

Those two are my favorite series! I love how they portray what women who have will can do. And some of the events in the books are the same. Like when Peeta and Tobias got drugged and fight Katniss and Tris. But given the choice, I will choose Hunger Games series. Divergent is good but I got bored during the third book. There are times when I want to skip some chapters.
While Hunger Games got my eyes fix on it. I fell in love with Panem, the arena, and everyting on it. How it made me feel hungry while reading it (literally). Definitely choosing my Mockingjay over my Divergent.
JadaMclymont123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JadaMclymont123 »

I would most definitely pick the hunger games over divergent because each hunger games movie gets better and better and something happens to make you wanna watch the next movie and it’s also really interesting
Star hemmen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Star hemmen »

I do not believe that the two book series should be compared but considering that they were both very popular book series that were eventually made into movies could be compared as which movies were better than the other because of the acting and directing. The book’s were written by different individuals with different opinions and ideas in which I do not believe should be compared because they were both astounding series. Neither bona fide each other. It is incredibly indelicate towards the marvelous works of the authors with different ideas and works. I enjoyed both series greatly. The authors portrayed similar things such as very strong female characters but other then that the similarities between them stop.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I prefer the Hunger Games more than Divergent--the worldbuilding in Divergent, especially after Allegient, was sloppy at best, and the Hunger Games dealt with themes that I feel are much more reflective of society today.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

I mean, I thought the books were much better than the movies first off. But as far as the books go I liked Hunger Games better. I felt the story more, the world, and the characters. I felt like Katniss and Peta just had more character development than the Divergent series characters.
Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sydney Lee »

I think both series were well-written, but I would choose The Hunger Games over Divergent. The Hunger Games had amazingly well-developed characters and I loved the plot. Divergent's characters were a bit underdeveloped at times and I didn't get as invested in the plot as I did The Hunger Games.
abbyruth9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyruth9.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by abbyruth9 »

I read the Hunger Games series first, but I never really liked Katniss and her detached perspective very much so I connected more to the characters in the Divergent series. That is to say, at first. I would put the first Divergent book over the entire Hunger Games series, but I would put the Hunger Games series over the Divergent series, if that makes sense. I feel like the Hunger Games had more continuity and the entire plot line felt planned out and not rushed, which was not the same impression I got when reading the second and third books of the Divergent series.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”