The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Re: The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Post by Tzara Drusak »

The Hunger Games was my first, and you know what they say about firsts. I've read and watched both and enjoy the concepts and imagination present in the two. I just prefer The Hunger Games, because Katniss is just one of my top characters and the heart and passion behind it is more clearly shown than in the Divergent series. Anyway, the latter is exceptional as well, and Tris is too an enjoyable character.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Tngirl123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tngirl123 »

The first time i watched the Hunger Games. I thought it was amazing. I enjoyed katnis. I can watch those movies over and over.
clau5609
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by clau5609 »

These two series are somehow similar. They are both on a post cataclysmic time frame where societies are clamoring for peace and order.Their difference was that in the hunger games the protagonists was litteraly oppressed, while i n the divergent they are part of a society that are divided;a faction wanting to gain more power than the rest. The Hunger games series is about gaining true freedom. It was a struggle of the protagonist of still retaining her identity, her humanity in a place where they are treated like less than animals. While in the divergent series the protagonist was trying somehow find her true self and in the end dies.
The two series' similarity is that they where on a dystopian series, but when it comes to the plot they are different. Which one is better? I don't know I depends on the readers prefences. But for me hunger games is better because the main character didnt die.yeah shallow I know. Its just I don't want heroes dying without them living the good life that they've fought so hard for.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I definitely pick the Hunger Games over Divergent any day. The first and second books from the Hunger Games were especially well-developed and the characters were a lot more three-dimensional there than in Divergent in my opinion.
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by lindsaysherlock »

I love the books equally, But I like the Hunger Games movies more.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I love The Divergent series more than The Hunger Games. Though the plot-line of Hunger Games was fairly more intriguing, I feel the trilogy ending was really disappointing. I haven't watched Hunger Games, but I've watched the Divergent movies, which were good at first, but then Allegiant turned out real bad.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I am very, very late to write on this thread. But that isn't stopping me from adding in my two cents!

The Divergent series was great. I wept at the end and still have very strong feelings about what happened. I absolutely hated the author after completing the series (in a good way), but have not felt compelled to re-read the series. I suppose there is something about getting so emotionally invested in a character that you feel they deserve a happy ending, and although the ending of the series was fantastic and bold, it left me feeling gutted and awful.

That is why I love the Hunger Games. I must re-read the trilogy every year when I feel like I need a good cry. It is so well executed that it shakes me to my core every time I read it, and I truly don't get tired of reading Collins' words.

The Hunger Games will always be one of my top YA fiction series, and ranks above the Divergent series to me.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

I prefer the Divergent series. I just love how it began. really awesome dystopian series. The character of four developed nicely.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I loved the Hunger Games and read them all back to back. I think the Divergent series was good, but my preference would be Hunger Games.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I've read both series and while both are good, I like The Hunger Games the best. The Hunger Games movies are also better.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I liked Divergent, but I loved the Hunger Games. I loved the storyline for the Hunger Games much more and I liked the way she finished the story, but I hated the last book of the Divergent series so I was really disappointed unfortunately.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I loved the hunger games more than divergent and I have read the entirety of both the series. I love the fact that it’s about a regular person who gains resilience and strength despite the circumstances.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

The Hunger Games is my favorite. I read only the first book of the divergent series and was bored with the second one.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I like Hunger Games over Divergent Series. Katniss Everdeen is one of strongest female characters I have read about.
chloeElise3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chloeElise3 »

Both series have the common dystopian theme. They include the classic love story drama you will find in any book you pick up. Personally, i think i prefer the Divergent Series over Hunger Games. I like the way the entire world falls apart right at the beginning and we see how Tris tries to reassemble it in a way that betters everyone.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”