Review: The Given (Interland Series, Book #1) by Gary Clark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sam2702
Favorite Book: The Given
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam2702.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Review: The Given (Interland Series, Book #1) by Gary Clark

Post by sam2702 »

This review is for The Given (Interland Series Book #1) by Gary Clark. I was given this as an Advanced Readers Copy (ARC) by the author, and it was a privilege to read it. Described as a Young Adult dystopian fantasy novel, it drew me in from the outset, and I couldn’t put it down, turning the pages with enthusiasm as I needed to see what happened next!

Jay has just turned 18, and her powers are becoming stronger. She isn’t yet aware of all this entails, however, she is aware that in the society she lives in, having the powers she does isn’t a good thing. Jay and others like her have enemies who are known as Readers, and her Dad, who also has some level of power, is arrested by the Readers and taken away from his family. As the Readers also become aware of Jay, she has no alternative other than to go on the run, and try and find the Interland - the place of legends that her Dad is convinced exists, where she will be safe. Along with her brother Sammy and her two best friends, Cassie and Stitch, she sets out on her journey.

The author’s descriptive writing ensures that you journey along with Jay and experience her travels with her. I was fearful when she was, overjoyed at the same things as her, and downright angry when someone or something got in her way.

The story also briefly follows Jay’s Dad on his journey, and a few chapters are devoted to him, but the majority of the book, as it should, focusses on Jay as her powers develop and she sets out to solve the mystery of the Interland.

The thing I enjoyed most about the book was the feeling that there may be people out there, in the real world, with powers the same as Jay. In my mind, if an author can make you feel like this, then they have drawn you steadily into the world they have created and enfolded you into the story.

The only thing I disliked about the book was that as this was an ARC, there may be a wait for the next installment, and I can’t wait to see what the author has in store for Jay.

As the book is advertised as a book for Young Readers, as you would expect, there is no profanity or erotic scenes, and I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a fantasy novel and who likes to escape into another world for a while.
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

I like the storyline and a talented author is already more than half the battle. The book seems enjoyable to read. Thanks for the review.
almakhu3008
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by almakhu3008 »

Another work of great perfection by Gary Clark . As to today's world , keeping the depressed and hardworking teens in mind, the writer has presented the best excuse to escape today's world(atleast for a while) and enjoy the fantasy of the author's mind's eye . It is a very addictive story hence one of kind . The best part is that it contains nothing inappropriate , so it's kids friendly and fun to read at the same time .♡
Jhanvi_3210
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jhanvi_3210 »

4.5 Stars... ⭐⭐⭐⭐✨

So, this novel is blast!! I mean the structure of the plot with everything is just awesome. Hero and villain are having equal powers with their own advantages and disadvantages, all depending on their ability.

The structure of the story is wonderful, taking us to the fiction world. Giving it, 4.5 stars because there are some parts which creates confusion. I don't know if they are cleared in the next book of the series or not. The story is too fast-paced, not explaining some things but overall it is great.

The plot goes like this: A girl named Jay is on run with her friends and her father because of her powers. To survive in this world with powers means to fight. With readers chasing them, this is no different than a cat and mouse game. When unexpected discoveries involving around legends and mystery in air meets with a pinch of shock and thriller, it's named as ‘The Given'.

“I used to know people down here, Not anymore. Did you know that this is the nudist beach by day?"

“Cassie told me about her lifelong friend since she was a baby. Her soul mate. The boy who moved away and never stayed in touch. Her best friend."

“Everything's changed. The Interland has grown. The surface world has moved so far in the wrong direction. We must get as many of the given to a safe place as we can."

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”