Official Review: chip 3 by jens pindal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: chip 3 by jens pindal

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "chip 3" by jens pindal.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

CHiP 3! by Jens Pindal is the next installment of the CHiP series of comics. This book, like its predecessor, is a compendium of jokes, games, and parodies in comic strip format. Although the same cheeky characters show up throughout the book, there is no ongoing plot. Despite not having picked up a Sunday newspaper for a few years now, I feel like I should be reading these kicking back at the kitchen table with a coffee in one hand.

Zort and Chip are back in this well-illustrated and vibrant comic that delivers a series of jokes that transcend a variety of different topics. Some of the gags make fun of life in general, others use puns as a delivery mechanism, and even more just make us chuckle since they are just plain stupid.

There is something innately satisfying about a book of comics that just doesn't make you think too hard. We are bombarded daily with difficult situations, tough decisions, and all the aspects of life that force us to employ copious amounts of gray matter. CHiP 3! is not one of those situations, and this relaxing feeling is one of the things I enjoyed about this book. Whether you just read one single joke or the whole book, you’re going to get a quick laugh. What I liked the best about this book, however, was one of the significant changes from the second book in the series. Although Zort and Chip are still the main characters, we are treated to a few more characters in this installment. In my opinion, this added an element of variety that the comics required.

There were a couple of things that I didn’t enjoy in this book. First, one very minor item was the spelling of the word “thanks” as “thanx” throughout the strips. I completely understand that it is within the creative liberty of the author, but for some reason, this spelling got on my nerves. Next, some of the comics really weren’t that funny. Don’t get me wrong, I definitely laughed at most of the short cartoons. That being said, some elicited no reaction whatsoever. Finally, and what I disliked the most about this book, is that there was one comic strip in CHiP 2! that was reproduced exactly in this one as well.

Since this short series of comics provided me with a few laughs and a feeling of newspaper nostalgia, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I took one mark off for the jokes that weren’t funny, the repetition, and my own annoyance at spelling choices. I have no problems, however, recommending this book to lovers of comic strips. I'll double down on this recommendation if you’ve picked up (and enjoyed) a copy of Pindal’s previous works. If you don’t like comics, or really don’t enjoy stupid humour, you can probably avoid this one.

chip 3
View: on Bookshelves
Captain_Black_1209
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-captain-black-1209.html
Latest Review: The VD Anthology by Various

Post by Captain_Black_1209 »

about how long did you take to read this comic,?
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I really like that the book includes jokes related to various topics! It seems like a very cheerful book that can be read relatively quickly, at least I got that impression.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

From the book's cover, I see that it is a comic novel already. It was great reading through this review.
KMGR70
Favorite Author: Jeff Menapace
Favorite Book: Bad Games
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmgr70.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 23616

Post by KMGR70 »

I've never heard of this series and notice it's listed as young adult. The cover seems more of a children's or "tweens" book. I'm also wondering if it's necessary to read the books in order. Thanks for the review. We definitely need a bit more humor right now!
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Growing up I enjoyed Archie comics. I would love for someone to bring that kind of comics. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”