Review by Bertha Jackson -- The Fisherman and his Foundl...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review by Bertha Jackson -- The Fisherman and his Foundl...

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fisherman and his Foundlings" by Phillip Leighton-Daly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly is a fictional tale of an old fisherman who lived by the ocean. Ten years after his wife dies from leprosy after helping those who lived in a leper colony, he continues to go to the colony and a mission for orphans to help those in need. The fisherman travels over rough terrain and past the dangerous and violent bushrangers, with his donkey Bill, taking the lepers salmon as salmon oil is good for leprosy. One day he is on his way home, and he comes across an injured merchild whose tail fin has been cut off. He takes her home and nurses her back to health. The merchild has kind feelings for the fisherman as a result of his kindness. The merqueen believes being kind is being weak, and she becomes angry with the merchild and tries to sacrifice her to trap the fisherman. She wants the fisherman’s bones to decorate her palace. Will the merqueen hurt the old fisherman? What will happen to the merchild?

I liked the graphic pictures of the fisherman, merpeople, ships, and the ocean that the book entails. They enhance the written descriptions of the characters and their surroundings, and small children will enjoy them. I also liked how the book is written in the third-person tense and reads like a fairytale. It is easy to imagine that you are there and a part of the story. The fisherman’s kindness and care of the merchild, orphans, and lepers are inspiring to the reader.

There was nothing to dislike about the book. The book is well-written and only has two small errors that do not distract from the reading. The plot flows smoothly and is easy to follow.

The two small errors were missing words that could easily have been overlooked by a professional editor. The errors are missing words that make the sentences awkward but I am not going to officially count them as errors. For this reason, I believe the book has been edited by a professional editor. Due to the beautiful illustrations and the flow of the book, I am giving the book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this short, 44-page book to children or anyone who believes in mermaids. However, some young children may need help understanding some of the terminology used by the author. For example, some children may not know what a monolith is. There is nothing in this delightful book that could be considered offensive. There is a small amount of violence but nothing overly graphic.

The Fisherman and his Foundlings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

Sounds like a nice book on kindness and helping others. Thanks for the descriptive review
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I recommend this short, 44-page book to children or anyone who believes in mermaids. However, some young children may need help understanding some of the terminology used by the author. For example, some children may not know what a monolith is. There is nothing in this delightful book that could be considered offensive. There is a small amount of violence but nothing overly graphic.
Maybe small children could read this with the aid of a parent or caregiver because the fantastic atmosphere of Merpeople and the message about generosity make this an ideal read for kids. Thank you for your review!
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

Books like these can't be disliked. This book is simply so adorable and fun to explore. I'm looking forward to this book. Thanks for your recommendation!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”