Review by Dartemis -- Hammer of the Gods by RK Wheeler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dartemis
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski

Review by Dartemis -- Hammer of the Gods by RK Wheeler

Post by Dartemis »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Hammer of the Gods" by RK Wheeler.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hammer of the Gods by RK Wheeler is the first book in the Nine Worlds series. After discovering they are descendants of the archangel, Azazyel, siblings Angelica, and Jonah are tasked with finding his tomb. With the help of the archangels and various mythological beings, they travel across the Nine Worlds, solving issues along the way, to find him. Combining pieces of religion with multiple mythologies, Hammer of the Gods sounds like a very promising read. However, as the old saying goes, “don't judge a book by its cover”.

To put it bluntly, this book is an absolute train wreck. It was very disappointing to me especially since I love mythology. The premise of taking pieces of Norse, Greek, and Hebrew mythology and putting them together had me hooked. It really does sadden me that it was executed so horribly since it had so much potential to be good. For starters, the mythology itself is all over the place. It felt like the author bit off more than they could chew. It also felt like there was a clear biased to certain mythologies over others.

The characters are literal pieces of cardboard. They have zero personality and only do stuff when the plot demands them to. Half the time you forget that they are even there because they literally do nothing! People die in front of them, and they are either stone-faced or they are overdramatic. Our main characters, Angelica and Jonah, aren’t even redeemable. They aren’t even the central focus of the story! There are no consequences for anyone’s actions at all. Someone could die and five seconds later, they are brought back to life. Hammer of the Gods retcons itself all the time. It will give us one piece of information and two chapters later, it decides to change it to something else. I could go on and on about its faults.

The spelling and grammar mistakes in this book are horrendous. On every page, there is at least one mistake - if not multiples. Straight away, you can tell that this book wasn’t professionally edited - if it was even edited at all! It was written like a first draft and that was what it was published as. It baffles me how there could be just so many errors. I will say, within these mistakes, I’ll give credit to the author that they did a good job at their descriptions. It did paint a good picture in my mind of what was happening. However, even that was ruined for me when a lot of these details were either reused so often that it got unnecessary repetitive, or they were changed completely.

There is just nothing redeeming about this book. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. If this book was just edited properly and given some substance, it could’ve had some potential. As it now stands though, Hammer of the Gods easily gets a 1 out of 4 stars rating from me. There are many great books about mythology and religion out there. This just isn’t one of them.

Hammer of the Gods
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”