Official Review: The Thought Broker by Heidi J. Callan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Thought Broker by Heidi J. Callan

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Thought Broker" by Heidi J. Callan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Thomas is a high school student just trying to improve life for himself and his sister Madi. After their mother disappeared years ago, their father all but abandoned them, leaving Thomas to take care of Madi. One day Thomas stumbles on another world. While it's fraught with peril, secrets are around every corner, and it could change his life for the better. Will Thomas figure out this world or jeopardize his own?

The Thought Broker by Heidi J. Callan is a young adult science fiction novel; the author suggests an age range of 10 to 18. There is profanity throughout as well as intense action sequences, so parents of the younger end of that age range might want to screen this before allowing their children to read it.

The book is told in the third-person perspective and is in the present tense. Unusual though it may be, it works for the story; however, not everyone enjoys this style. "Light forces its way in where it can, illuminating greenery and berry bushes with an alien glow so unsettling Thomas reminds himself to breathe."

I enjoyed following along with Thomas's adventures. As he discovered this new world, I discovered it with him. There is a wall of water - or should I say a tunnel of water - where one can see all manner of creatures swimming by. Only one of the many interesting parts of this world, I was fascinated and eager to read more about it. The author does a great job building this strange and deadly world.

It's important to note that while much of the plot arc from this book is wrapped up, the reader is left with many unanswered questions at the end, which indicates a sequel. I was glad to see some conclusion, but there was still much I wanted to know. This isn't a book where you could just stop with the first story, and I'm already eagerly awaiting the next book in the sequence.

The biggest drawback of this story is the editing. There were numerous mistakes including misplaced punctuation and missing words. Also, and the biggest problem for me, the main protagonist's thoughts weren't delineated in any way. In a single paragraph, the writing would switch from the third person to first and back again. It was hard to know if they were actually his thoughts or simply a mistake on the author's part. It was distracting and brought me out of the story.

In all, I enjoyed the book immensely. The errors force me to rate The Thought Broker 3 out of 4 stars, but the plot was interesting enough to overlook the mistakes and not rate this any lower. I recommend this to teenagers and adults that enjoy a fun science fiction adventure. Be aware, though, that you won't be able to stop at one book; you'll want to read the series.

The Thought Broker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I hope the author will fix the errors to allow for a more immersive reading experience. You sold me on the creative world-building, and it sounds like a fun adventure. I enjoyed reading your review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you for your review! The book seems very interesting and engrossing for young adventure fans.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Really to learn about mistakes and profanity in the children's book. But the story and world-building seem to be very engaging! I would check this one out :) Thanks for a great review!
VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

I will like to know about this new world. Your review is really great. Thanks for forewarning about the age group. Great job!👍
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Drianie wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 01:00 I hope the author will fix the errors to allow for a more immersive reading experience. You sold me on the creative world-building, and it sounds like a fun adventure. I enjoyed reading your review!
I agree! Once the errors are fixed, this will really be an interesting book. Nevertheless, I'm curious to see what will come next.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 04:43 Thank you for your review! The book seems very interesting and engrossing for young adventure fans.
Absolutely, even with the errors, I do recommend it! Thanks so much for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ellylion wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 05:44 Really to learn about mistakes and profanity in the children's book. But the story and world-building seem to be very engaging! I would check this one out :) Thanks for a great review!
I'm not sure I'd call it a children's book. Young adult would be better. I do recommend it. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

VVaishali wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 09:16 I will like to know about this new world. Your review is really great. Thanks for forewarning about the age group. Great job!👍
I hope you find time to read this and learn about the world. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

This is a detailed and engaging review from you, as always. I hope the author does the needful. Thanks a lot for the review.
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

Firstly, the book title is thought provoking.

Secondly, from what I have grasped from this review; the tale reads in line with the title. I think I just have to flip the pages of this novel. Thanks for the review.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

For a book suitable for children aged 10-18 having profanity, I find it uncomfortable. But nevertheless, the plot seems amazing, and I totally enjoyed your review.
Masekake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masekake.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Masekake »

Too many grammatical errors ruin a good book, I hope the book goes through more editing.
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

The plot sounds intriguing. The fiction world might be really well described which enriched the story. Also, i like the present tense format of the book. It might lead readers to connect to the protagonist simultaneously as he faces situations. This sounds interesting to me. Anyway, you're review was detailed and helpful. Thanks for the review!
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

This sounds like an interesting book! I would love to read it and find out more about this mysterious new world. Thank you for a great review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”