Who thinks Prim from the Hunger Games should have lived and married Gale?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmerwenC
Currently Reading: Ballet Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 54

Who thinks Prim from the Hunger Games should have lived and married Gale?

Post by EmerwenC »

I know that it's critical to Katniss's character development for Prim to die in the Mockingjay book by Suzanne Collins, but it's always fun to explore fanfic ideas.
Who else thinks she should have lived?
And even if you prefer that she dies, do you think that Prim and Gale, (granted Prim could have grown a bit older lol), would have made a great pair??
I personally felt super sad that she dies in the end :( and also that Gale is sort of lonely. I mean, he could be a bit emotionally selfish sometimes, but he meant well and was an awesome soldier. So, he is a likable character. Sorry for the spoilers if you haven't read the series yet lol.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I think her dying was incredibly sad but to me it did make sense. It was important to show that people die in wars and that wars don't see someone as main character or main character's family. I wouldn't pair Gale with Prim simply because they seem to barely have interacted so I feel it would be a bit odd.
Julia J 1
Currently Reading: The Priory of the Orange Tree
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-j-1.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Julia J 1 »

Absolutely not. Prim was much younger and Katniss's sister.
I don't blame Gale for Prim's death but I do think them not ending up together was a good thing. Katniss needed to be with Peeta because he is stable and also could relate to the horrors that she went through. If the Games had never happened, Katniss would have ended up with Gale, but also I don't think Katniss will forgive Gale for Prim's death because she never wanted the bombs to happen. Gale is too close to her sisters tragedy for them to ever fully mend their relationship.
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I would’ve loved if Prim lived on as well. I didn’t feel it was completely necessary to the story line or Katniss’ character development. I think it was just another example of a tragedy. If she had survived, I don’t think it makes any sense for her to end up with Gale. The age difference is not appropriate, their personalities are incompatible, and with Gale’s history with Katniss I don’t think it would be appropriate for them to get together.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”