Official Review: "Loving Aretta" by R.W Mathis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: The Promise, by Connie Rife

Official Review: "Loving Aretta" by R.W Mathis

Post by Miller56 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Loving Aretta"" by R.W Mathis.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Teenage love is difficult under the best circumstances. What happens when you are in love with someone from a school across town? Does not seeing each other every day make the relationship more difficult? Loving Aretta by R.W. Mathis is the story of two young teens who have fallen for each other, yet attend schools across the city from each other. This is a fictional young romance story.

The two main characters of the book were very likable. Aretta lived with her mother and younger sister. She was responsible for taking care of her sister after school and at any other time her mom deemed appropriate. She seemed like a normal fifteen-year old who did well in school and normally stayed out of trouble. Aretta was a determined young lady whose character showed a lot of strength. I think that she handled most situations in an adult manner, although there were times that she behaved as one would expect from a young teen. Matt was also a very responsible and hard-working young man. He was a good student and helped his dad with many of the household chores. He was a strong, moral young man who loved deeply.

I did not like many of the characters in the book. Although I am sure some of the behaviors are very common for teens, I found them disrespectful and lacking in moral character. Cheryl and Melanie were only focused on their wants and desires. I felt their characters were a bit unbelievable, because they were virgins, but constantly enticing boys without their clothes on. Most teenagers are not that forward. I also did not like Aretta’s mother. She seemed to be very selfish and childish. When she did not get her way, she punished Aretta.

This book has very little depth to it. The whole story is about Matt and Aretta and the across town relationship. Matt was always being chased by other girls at his school. He was presented with many opportunities for sexual exploits. The book was 615 pages, but the story could have been told in 200 pages or less. The majority of the book was explicit sex scenes that were unnecessary and really did not add to the story. The grammar, punctuation, and spelling were terrible. This book needs to go through many edits before it would be worth reading. The grammar, punctuation and spelling took away from the story. I could not find many of the words that were used in the dictionary. It appeared that the author was trying to sound out words and was spelling them as they sounded. “An” and “and” were often interchanged in the book. Contractions such as “you’re” were generally spelled as your. I struggled getting through the book. Because of the lack of editing and the continual use of explicit sex scenes that had little added value to the story, I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars.

This book appears to be meant for a younger reading group, teens to young adults. However, because of the language and sexual content, I cannot recommend it for that age group. I am not sure it is really an acceptable book for most ages, although adults who enjoy explicit sexual content with very little depth to the story, may enjoy this book.

"Loving Aretta"
View: on Bookshelves

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: The blood bath has begun, are we too late to save humanity? by Farzana Prior

Post by Nqobile771 »

Thanks for the honest review. I love romance but when it involves teenagers, I have many reservations. I will skip the book.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Nice review. I like that it's really detailed and honest.
Sometimes, an author has a good story in his/her head, but telling it to others becomes a great challenge. Sad.
Live and let live, baby!

Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

I appreciate your honest review. Depth is very important to me. I sure won't enjoy the book.

ValeriaU
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeriau.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by ValeriaU »

A book filled with sex scenes and no depth sounds really boring, definitely not my type of book. This was a good review though, very honest.
“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
― Stephen King, Different Seasons

Moray_001
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Dear Black sUn by Bryanna Wade-Gardner

Post by Moray_001 »

This doesn't seem like a good read. It's not all teenagers that are morally deficit and forward. I wish stories would cast young people in a good light so when other young people read about them, they will be motivated by good behaviour.

Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

Nqobile771 wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 02:23
Thanks for the honest review. I love romance but when it involves teenagers, I have many reservations. I will skip the book.
It was a little disturbing at times. I have a teenager and I know that she definitely would be disgusted and does not act anything like that, nor does her friends. Thanks for stopping by.

Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

Moray_001 wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 13:54
This doesn't seem like a good read. It's not all teenagers that are morally deficit and forward. I wish stories would cast young people in a good light so when other young people read about them, they will be motivated by good behaviour.
I completely agree with you. A positive story about the good in teens would do wonders to help kids develop a good self-esteem. These type of books make kids wonder what they are doing wrong. Thanks for taking time to read my review and share your thoughts.

Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

ValeriaU wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 14:40
A book filled with sex scenes and no depth sounds really boring, definitely not my type of book. This was a good review though, very honest.
The story of two young teens being in love would have been a great story. The unnecessary sex scenes definitely detracted from what the story was meant to portray. Thanks for stopping by.

Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

AnnOgochukwu wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 03:24
Nice review. I like that it's really detailed and honest.
Sometimes, an author has a good story in his/her head, but telling it to others becomes a great challenge. Sad.
I agree. The story could have been very meaningful, but was lost in the sex scenes. Thanks for stopping by.

Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

Ify_Reviewer wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 07:58
I appreciate your honest review. Depth is very important to me. I sure won't enjoy the book.
Thanks for taking time to read my review.

Moray_001
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Dear Black sUn by Bryanna Wade-Gardner

Post by Moray_001 »

Miller56 wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 11:24
Moray_001 wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 13:54
I completely agree with you. A positive story about the good in teens would do wonders to help kids develop a good self-esteem. These type of books make kids wonder what they are doing wrong. Thanks for taking time to read my review and share your thoughts.
That's right, if teens are positively influenced it will impact their generation. You're welcome.

SamaylaM
Currently Reading: The Shoeshine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by SamaylaM »

I think the story had no proper depth, from what I can understand. It was a cliche gone wrong. I'd pass this one but really appreciate that you still finished and reviewed it honestly. Amazing work!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”