Official Review: Martian Jones by Dan Boulet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chipochashe
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: The Short, The Sweet, and The Not So Sweet by Ian E Rabbitt

Official Review: Martian Jones by Dan Boulet

Post by Chipochashe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Martian Jones" by Dan Boulet.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adam Jones is excited to begin the holidays. On the last day of school, there is speculation about the mysterious structure that NASA discovered on the planet Mars. He realizes that he is being followed as he makes his way home. Could he be in danger and what could anyone want with an ordinary kid like himself? Adam is surprised when his parents seem to be anxious over the discovery by NASA. Why are they concerned?

The substantial age difference between Adam and his sister, Jane, had caused Adam to feel like an outsider in his family. The adults, that is his parents and sister, always seemed to have a knowledge and understanding that Adam could not be part of. The discovery of the structure on Mars changes all this as Adam’s life takes a drastic change. This is the story of Martian Jones as written by Dan Boulet. The story is written in the third person with a special focus on Adam. The story is easy to follow. The story is plot-driven, with minimal descriptions of the characters' backgrounds and motivations.

I had a great appreciation of how the author made an effort to make the story a plausible one despite it being fiction. He made use of actual science and history and skillfully wove these into his story. The author did not make use of profanity and the story is free of erotic scenes. Although there is mention of God and prayer, the book is suitable for people of any religion as there are no religious teachings of any nature.

The downside to this book was that I found some sections getting boring as there were too many technical details. As much as science fascinates me; these turned out to be a bit too much. I think young adults would agree with me on that.

The kindle version of this book puts the contents page at the end of the book, making it of no use. The major problem with the kindle version of this book, however, is the page numbering. This relatively short book spans 2962 pages as a result of faulty numbering which jumps from page 3 to page 11, from page 13 to page 18 and so on. Besides that, the book had a few minor errors which did not detract me from reading. There are also some violent scenes, but these were not graphic.

Overall, it is an interesting science fiction story with science that sounds almost plausible. There are enough twists and surprises to keep the reader interested. I would recommend dialling down on the technical details, so as to keep the story flow engaging. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars as a result of the structural issues mentioned above. I recommend the book to young adults who are fascinated by space travel and astronomy.

Martian Jones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.

Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

You have left me in suspense, why was Adam really being followed?. I hope I'll get the answer to this question when reading. Great review
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Ada Ling »

This sounds a very interesting book. Would like to have a read later on. Thank you for the introduction!

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pluma »

I always like it when an author makes an effort to add believability to a story, especially when it comes to sci-fi; it makes the book all the more enjoyable. But it’s a pity about the problems you mentioned; too much technical detail can definitely put readers off, and structural issues add unnecessary confusion. However, it still sounds like it could be an exciting read. Thanks for the honest review!

MarianaFigueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by MarianaFigueira »

I love when fiction books are so well written that seem completely possible, which seems to be the case of this one, from what I got from your review. It was a great one, thank you!

Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

Phelicia Gloria wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 17:08
You have left me in suspense, why was Adam really being followed?. I hope I'll get the answer to this question when reading. Great review
Enjoy the reading. Thanks for the positive feedback Phelicia.

Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

Ada Ling wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 19:32
This sounds a very interesting book. Would like to have a read later on. Thank you for the introduction!
It is interesting. Enjoy the reading Ada.Thanks for your comment.

Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

Pluma wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 20:38
I always like it when an author makes an effort to add believability to a story, especially when it comes to sci-fi; it makes the book all the more enjoyable. But it’s a pity about the problems you mentioned; too much technical detail can definitely put readers off, and structural issues add unnecessary confusion. However, it still sounds like it could be an exciting read. Thanks for the honest review!
It is still quite interesting. You are welcome Pluma. Thank you for your comment.

Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

MarianaFigueira wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 10:56
I love when fiction books are so well written that seem completely possible, which seems to be the case of this one, from what I got from your review. It was a great one, thank you!
You are welcome Mariana. Thanks for the comment.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”