Review by Reneemccorry -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reneemccorry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneemccorry.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review by Reneemccorry -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Reneemccorry »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When two boys, Ryan and Matthew, wake up on a deserted island with no memory of how they got there or of their past an experience of a lifetime begins. What they do know is that they are best friends. The boys begin a journey of physical challenges and realizations about themselves and each other.

As the boys investigate their surroundings, they find water, food packs and other supplies needed to conquer each quadrant. Every challenge presented is a step closer to home. Memories being to return, and they develop an appreciation for their friendship and the lives they left behind.

Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants is an action-packed story filled with adventure. Each test the boy’s face proves to be more dangerous than the last. The author, Caleb J. Boyer’s description of the island is fascinating. The story is clearly written with only one misspelled word found. There is no profanity and no sexual content.

I enjoyed the growth of both characters. They are two very different boys. As they conquer each hurdle, they learn more about their own strengths and weaknesses. Ryan is more of a computer geek. He faces his fears and becomes more heroic throughout the story. Matthew is the athlete who channels his inner warrior but later has moments of weakness. He begins to understand that he cannot be strong all the time. Their friendship is put to the test as they realize danger is all around. The boys develop an even stronger bond as they learn to work together and respect each other’s ideas.

There is only one part of the story I disliked. The ending. It left me turning the page and wondering if I missed something. Although I understand the author’s reasoning for the conclusion by reading the foreword, I do not believe a younger reader would take the time to look past the story. They may not appreciate the author’s metaphors and become frustrated without a clear distinction that the boy’s story will continue in another book.

This book is a geared towards a middle school audience. The action, mystery, character growth, and lack of grammatical errors has earned this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is not my go-to genre but I did enjoy reading this book and highly recommend it for those who like on-going action adventure stories.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”