Official Review: One If by Carol B Allen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Official Review: One If by Carol B Allen

Post by Vic Chimezie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One If" by Carol B Allen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Parker Kittridge couldn't understand why this particular hummingbird kept rapping on her window. Over the past several weeks, the bird's visit had become a routine, and it didn't look like it was going to stop without getting what it wanted. Parker, now curious, decides to oblige the bird. In the process of trying to get the bird to come to her, she slips, topples over the rail, and plummets 18 stories down, expecting the inevitable.

Parker didn't expect to be alive after the fall. More so, she didn't expect to find herself in Spyridon, a mysterious planet threatened by climate change and wars. She soon discovers she is on this planet with two other teenagers and that they must join forces to help save Spyridon from complete annihilation.

One If by Carol B Allen is an epic fantasy adventure that will thrill anyone who reads it. There are 35 chapters in this book, and Carol never dropped the ball in any of it. She stayed the course of sustaining the suspense in this book from start to finish, thereby stirring the zeal to keep reading it. This book is also rich in challenging vocabulary. So be sure to have a pen, jotter, and dictionary very close.

This book is rich in vivid imagery. The author describes events so clearly that it leaves graphic images in one's mind. One such example is, "Tears rolled down her cheeks, meandering through her scattered freckles." Didn't that tickle your imagination? Nevertheless, the characters in One If are perfectly designed. Like small gears working tirelessly for the mechanical advantage of a system, the characters form an inextricable alliance to bring an unpredictable climax to this book's intriguing story.

In this book, there is a clear intention to inspire teenagers to be courageous and believe in their abilities to effect positive change in the world. Carol also portrays the pressure teenagers experience because they seek vocations that are contrary to what people expect of them in this piece. Parker and the other two teenagers, Henley and Edison, are compelling characters who I am sure will inspire youths through their innovations, determination, and charisma.

I love everything about this book! The worldbuilding ability of the author is commendable. From the Virago trees of the Upperworld to the dark portals leading to the Underworld of Spyridon, the author's creativity shines through. This book made me laugh, I got emotional, and I feared greatly for the safety of Parker, my favorite character. Even though the end left me craving a sequel, I love how it left an enduring sweet taste in my mind. I, therefore, rate One If 4 out of 4 stars. It is clean, professionally edited, and without typos. I am recommending this book to lovers of fantasy adventures, especially young adults who like courageous female characters.

One If
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The plot of this fantasy fiction sounds really interesting. I enjoyed reading your review. Great work!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
thebutterflygirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebutterflygirl.html
Latest Review: Karinya by Paul Drewitt

Post by thebutterflygirl »

I have a thing for strong female characters, I think I'd like this.
SenSen
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sensen.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by SenSen »

I liked the example of a beautiful sentence. I like it when, aside from an interesting plot, there is also a pleasant flow of sentences. Overall, I think I would like this book. Thank you for the review!
It was so gorgeous it almost felt like sadness. The Lake, Banana Yoshimoto
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

The author must have been inspired by Alice in Wonderland but overall, it seems like a perfect book. I commend you for your expertly written review. Good one!
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

It seems like a book that I wanted. Thanks for the review.
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

“In this book, there is a clear intention to inspire teenagers to be courageous and believe in their abilities to effect positive change in the world. Carol also portrays the pressure teenagers experience because they seek vocations that are contrary to what people expect of them”

I love this message and am very excited to recommend this to my students!
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Fair review of a detailed book.
Fakira Douglas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fakira Douglas »

The plot of this fantasy fiction sounds really interesting. I enjoyed reading your review. Great work! 🤓
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I saw a hummingbird outside my window earlier this week. Now, I'm wondering what the significance of the bird is in this story.
🐦 :happy-jumpyellow:

The issues of war and climate change in Spyridon mirror events in our own world. So, it sounds like a very interesting fantasy adventure.

Thank you for an excellent review!
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I really enjoyed reading your review. Loved the world development done in this story.
Lisbeth Neverland
Currently Reading: Rivers of London
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisbeth-neverland.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Post by Lisbeth Neverland »

"Tears rolled down her cheeks, meandering through her scattered freckles." Definitely tickled my imagination :lol2:. Teenagers, fantasy, great plot and amazing pace. . . If I get this book, then I'm definitely going to read it, no doubt.
Thanks for the awesome review!
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

My imagination has been trickled, and now I want read this book.
I enjoyed reading this beautiful review.😊
Live and let live, baby.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the book is inspiring to teenagers and can help in choosing a vocation. Thanks for the insightful review.
Adekye3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Adekye3 »

I think am going to love this book because I have a thing for fantasy and adventures .Great review thanks

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”