Review by Shephali123 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shephali123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shephali123.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by Shephali123 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Shephali123 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Opaque, the debut novel of the Scion Saga by Calix Leigh-Reign, is a story which is a beautiful mix of a compelling psychological mystery, Sci-Fi and teenage romance. It has a story that will take most readers by surprise. The story revolves around Adam Caspian, a troubled young man who spends his teenage fighting his inner darkness. With no real friends, the only thing in his mind is to harm and kill others, including his own father. But what could have been looked as a psychological condition soon became a key to find out the truth of his life.

His life starts to take a diversion after meeting Carly Wit, a girl with peerless beauty. Both Carly and Adam were driven towards each other after the first meeting itself but after seeing who Adam really is, Carly began to put her steps carefully. She also introduced him to a new world which he had no idea existed, who have only two options in order to survive-to kill or get killed.

The opening of the story gives a powerful idea of the dark mindset of the protagonist and the story proceeds with how light permeates the mental struggle and replaces the darkness inside him. Watching Adam as he explores his past, unveiling mysteries and coming in terms with himself is what makes the story interesting. I loved the way how the character of Adam develops from a teenage misanthropic to a loving, brave and amazing man who would do anything to save his love and family.

The language of the story is superb and easy to understand. It is also filled with symbolism which brings strong images and memories to the mind. The pacing was also steady, once I started reading the book, it was difficult for me to keep the book down, especially towards the end. Lastly, the character development was excellent. For the negative part, I believe there were few small errors here and there, but overall, it didn’t bother me much while reading.

I loved this book and personally felt that for a debut, Opaque is a huge success with the amazing, well imagined and beautifully laid out story, filled with twists and surprises. With that said I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. As the book hardly contains any words of profanity with mild erotic scenes, I would like to recommend this book to the audience of all ages, preferably adults with a love for Sci-Fi and mystery genre. Waiting for the next book of the Scion Saga to be released.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”