Official Review: Murphy's Law by Heather Rushmore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Murphy's Law by Heather Rushmore

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Murphy's Law" by Heather Rushmore.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This was the summer that fifteen-year-old Wes Murphy and his dad planned on rebuilding an old Mustang together. In Murphy's Law: Mustang Murder by Heather Rushmore, Wes is still haunted by his father's accidental death--or was it an accident after all? His dad was always so cautious when he was working on cars. Wes can't shake the feeling that there is more to the story. His suspicions are confirmed when he follows in his father's footsteps and begins rebuilding an old Mustang, provoking unexpected anger from several townspeople. Determined to find answers, Wes decides to investigate, but will he and his family become the murderer's next targets?

Rushmore skillfully crafts each character and illustrates their personalities through their thoughts and actions. Although Wes is an obedient son and mature for his age, readers will relate to his lingering grief for his father and his occasional annoyance with his nine-year-old siblings. Likewise, the twins' mischievous antics and constant bickering with one another are also realistic. Rushmore gives the fraternal twins distinct personalities; Maxine is tall, athletic, and enjoys soccer and dancing while Ryder is shorter, loves football, and tries to avoid chores and schoolwork.

The 148-page middle grade/young adult mystery has just the right of whodunnit appeal to engage readers in the targeted age range. However, the plot held my attention, and as a parent and grandparent, I particularly enjoyed the story's emphasis on family values. For instance, Wes respects his mother and willingly helps out with his younger siblings. Although there are references to the computer at the library and the twins occasionally play video games, smartphones are refreshingly absent. In between investigating, the kids finish chores before heading out to swim or fish in the South Dakota small town's lake.

Additionally, I appreciate Rushmore's detailed descriptions of the characters' surroundings throughout the book. She has a penchant for creating stirring visual images, such as the flower-bordered hillside steps leading to Buffalo Springs, the charming Sweet Springs ice cream shop, the family's welcoming kitchen, and the kids' bedroom decor. Should the story be adapted as a play, the set director will have ample inspiration.

The book is professionally edited. Although the plot involves solving a murder, there isn't any graphic violence, and it is appropriate for ages eight and older. I honestly can't name anything I dislike about the book, and I am pleased to rate Murphy's Law 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to MG/YA audiences who enjoy mysteries with an emphasis on family life.

Murphy's Law
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

This sounds like a really fantastic book. The cover design really draws you in, and it actually suits the title and the genre. The page length seems approachable for that middle-grade age, and I like that the author is able to introduce many real-life situations found in the life of a teen, such as bickering siblings. I’m absolutely loving the quiet model that it is presented, though, by showing Wes’ obedience to his parents, family values, and a lack of electronics. Sadly, it’s difficult these days to find good YA books that introduce a good story along with good role models, so this is definitely a catch. Great review!
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! I have to admit your review really made me want to read this book. I'm curious about what really happened to Wes' father.
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

Now, I'm curious to know if it was actually an accident or something else. To unveil the mystery I would give this one a try for sure.Thanks for the detailed and honest review.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sirbobthewise wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 19:55 This sounds like a really fantastic book. The cover design really draws you in, and it actually suits the title and the genre. The page length seems approachable for that middle-grade age, and I like that the author is able to introduce many real-life situations found in the life of a teen, such as bickering siblings. I’m absolutely loving the quiet model that it is presented, though, by showing Wes’ obedience to his parents, family values, and a lack of electronics. Sadly, it’s difficult these days to find good YA books that introduce a good story along with good role models, so this is definitely a catch. Great review!
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Samgum50 wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 02:51 Great review! I have to admit your review really made me want to read this book. I'm curious about what really happened to Wes' father.
Thank you. I hope you get a chance to read it.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

book_fanatic_ wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 08:52 Now, I'm curious to know if it was actually an accident or something else. To unveil the mystery I would give this one a try for sure.Thanks for the detailed and honest review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Ntokozo Tshabalala
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ntokozo Tshabalala »

This is a great review. Keeps the reader hooked and opens a doorway of imagination which is great. Kept me interested and at the edge of my seat. Great work
rwalkup
Currently Reading: The Copper Gauntlet
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwalkup.html
Latest Review: E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by rwalkup »

I have this book on my shelf! Sounds very intriguing.
dubeychiranjeev94
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dubeychiranjeev94 »

Great work of literature.Takes you into another world
Chiagbanwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiagbanwe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Chiagbanwe »

Mystery solving? Yeah, that's my kind of thing. And the fact that it places emphasis on family values will help youngsters place adequate priority on helping out at home.
Thrilling review!
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

For instance, Wes respects his mother and willingly helps out with his younger siblings
Seems there are morals to learn in this book. Good review.
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

I love the aspect of family values that you have pointed out. Thank you for such an in-depth review!
PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

There aren't that many MG/YA mystery books. The sci-fi/fantasy genre dominates books for that age-range, so I'm glad this book is different. Thanks for your riveting review. :tiphat:

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”