Review by Leen282 -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
2021 Reading Goal: 26
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Review by Leen282 -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I learned that Caleb J. Boyer was only twelve years old when he wrote Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants, I was immediately intrigued. I don't think I have ever before read a novel by a young author like him. I picked up the book, read it, and enjoyed it. What an accomplishment for such a young writer!

The book tells us about the adventure of Matthew and Ryan, two teenage boys and best friends. They wake up on a deserted island one morning, with no memory of how they got there. Without food, drinks, or any other necessities, they realize they need to get off the island but have no idea how. They start exploring and encounter plenty of challenges on their way around the island. Every problem is different from the previous one, and the friends quickly understand they need to work together to survive and find their way back home.

I like the pace of the story. Each chapter brings a new element, whether it's a challenge, supplies, or an insight. Each chapter also ends with a promise of more to happen in the next one, a small cliffhanger. In a clever way, the reader is invited to continue reading to learn what Matthew and Ryan will have to deal with next. I also like the interaction between the two friends. They laugh, play, joke, tease, and come across as your typical teenagers in an atypical setting. Friendship and cooperation are prominent themes throughout the book.

Unfortunately, there were also some elements I liked less. The author is quite often repetitive in his choice of words. For example, I want to mention the reference 'this time', which is used three times in four sentences. I was not impressed with the end of the story. I do appreciate the author adding a message explaining why the book ends this way, and there is a pleasant little surprise at the end of that message. Still, I would have preferred the meaning to be clear from the writing itself without needing an additional message. For the reasons as mentioned above, I give one less point and rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to young adults and not-so-young adults who appreciate an easy, pleasant read. There is no profanity or adult content, very few typos, and as such, the book is suitable for all.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblawrence.html
Latest Review: We Don't Just Eat Lettuce! by Allyn Raifstanger

Post by Jlblawrence »

The premise of this book has me totally intrigued! I love stories that involve being stranded and surviving. It reminds me of "Hatchet" and "Island of the Blue Dolphins." It stinks that there are some issues, but with the author being so young I guess it's to be expected. Thank you for the review!
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Jlblawrence wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 23:32 The premise of this book has me totally intrigued! I love stories that involve being stranded and surviving. It reminds me of "Hatchet" and "Island of the Blue Dolphins." It stinks that there are some issues, but with the author being so young I guess it's to be expected. Thank you for the review!
The author indeed still is young, but already shows a lot of promise. Thanks for stopping by.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Year of the Sheep by James Y. Bartlett
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

Wow, that is impressive! Not even a teen and he wrote his own book :) That is truly inspiring, and it sounds like he did a wonderful job with the storyline and interaction between the two best friends. Thank you for the well-written review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

A youngster with such imaginative mind has me impressed. I also love the plot. I imagine how the friends will feel having such sudden amnesia. Thank you for a beautiful review.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

MeganDJ wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 01:00 Wow, that is impressive! Not even a teen and he wrote his own book :) That is truly inspiring, and it sounds like he did a wonderful job with the storyline and interaction between the two best friends. Thank you for the well-written review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
I know I couldn't do it, I am really impressed.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Adanna Inya wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 02:24 A youngster with such imaginative mind has me impressed. I also love the plot. I imagine how the friends will feel having such sudden amnesia. Thank you for a beautiful review.
Thank you for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”