Official Review: Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Re: Official Review: Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

Wow! I like the way you focus on the intended audience for this book. Also, interesting turn of phrase; "Witty humor, adolescent sarcasm, and hefty doses of real emotion are sprinkled throughout each chapter."
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Kansas City Teacher wrote: 21 May 2020, 23:26
The best part of this book is the voice. Given that this is a young adult book, it has a specific audience, and the author’s tone and character development work perfectly for his intended readers. Hamilton’s skilled and astute choice of words and phrasing effectively capture the emotions and points of view of the characters. The boys’ youthful phrases and insight provide a unique perspective into the monotony, anguish, and perpetual turmoil the boys face daily in the camp. Witty humor, adolescent sarcasm, and hefty doses of real emotion are sprinkled throughout each chapter. While there is abuse, torment, and a shortage of food, there are also different kinds of marbles, boxing lessons, and baseball. In the dawn of adulthood, Johnny wrestles with many questions. How many will die before help arrives? Will he survive? What has become of his father?
Same thought we have! The author's writing style gives authenticity in the book.
I especially love their way of coping with the stress as prisoners, and they did everything to pass time.
I also laughed in many parts of the book, and it was like reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn if they lived in the Philippines during WWII.
As a Filipino, I can relate to the stories because I hear similar things from grandparents and war veterans who survived to tell the tale.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Emjopin
Favorite Author: E.W. Johnson M.D.
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Currently Reading: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emjopin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
fav_author_id: 196577

Post by Emjopin »

Beautifully written like a painting on a canvass. It gives the present generation who are so war freak, at least some, an image of a war torn world, spiritually bereft too caused by the rage and injured souls.
This book teaches how to find peace and friendship in the midst of chaos. There is always a glitter of light from within that seeks its own kind.
Emjopin
Favorite Author: E.W. Johnson M.D.
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Currently Reading: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emjopin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
fav_author_id: 196577

Post by Emjopin »

Beautifully written like a painting on a canvass. It gives the present generation who are so war freak, at least some, an image of a war torn world, spiritually bereft too caused by the rage and injured souls.
This book teaches how to find peace and friendship in the midst of chaos. There is always a glitter of light from within that seeks its own kind.
Hannah Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-fabro.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Hannah Fabro »

It's a great book. I enjoyed Johnny's whole journey especially his journey about marbles. I also loved the life-lessons this book taught me.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I've read Wonks! You do a really nice job of setting the tone of the story in the first paragraph while introducing some of the important characters. You've also managed to work in a lot of information into your review without it sounding too contrived or rushed. I'm not sure how many books there are out there on this subject. I didn't know much about the Philippines, but I am glad to be refreshed/introduced to it through this book. Nice review!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”