Official Review: Sammy the Sea Serpent by Elayne Shore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bhaskins
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Official Review: Sammy the Sea Serpent by Elayne Shore

Post by Bhaskins »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sammy the Sea Serpent" by Elayne Shore.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sammy the Sea Serpent by Elayne Shore is a series of books about a sea serpent named Sammy. The series starts out learning about Sammy’s mom and uncle and outlines how sea serpents live. These books are written in the context of a dad reading them to his young daughter and will switch back and forth occasionally from the story within the story. We learn that Sammy’s mom is a sea serpent and that her dad, Eric is a dragon. This gives Sammy the body of a sea serpent with dragon wings.

What I liked most about this book were the illustrations. The drawings were colorful, detailed, and really beautiful. I actually think these stories would have been better geared towards smaller children and displayed in a picture book over the longer “chapter” books and older kids they are intended for. I also liked the adventurous stories and that we get a good picture of Sammy, her family, and where she came from.

What I disliked most is the formatting of the stories. It would sometimes switch to the dad and daughter’s conversation as these are being read to her like bedtime stories, but it was done in a very clunky way. There were also several errors and sections that just did not transition well.

This book series is geared towards beginning readers as each book has about 4 chapters and isn’t super long. I believe it would be better to pair it down and make it a series of picture books.

I give Sammy the Sea Serpent 2 out of 4 stars. As a mom, it felt like a clunky read and I don’t think my kid would have stayed engaged. There were typos and places where it just feels disjointed overall. I think another round of editing would be helpful. I was very impressed with the art.

Sammy the Sea Serpent
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Miraphery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Claimed by Rafa by Denna Holm

Post by Miraphery »

Children are easily distracted and this book needs to be capable of engaging them. That should be worked on. Thanks for the review.

fadjei
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by fadjei »

It's unfortunate that there were formatting and grammar issues. It's important that these things are perfected when writing for children, as they are impressionable young readers. Also, children's book definitely need to be engaging, because they can get bored easily.
Thanks for the review!

Dannyphery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Dannyphery »

I think this book still needs a little work on it. It's still a nice one though.
Thanks for the review

Bhaskins
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Bhaskins »

It should be noted that I had a typo and that Sammy is a girl!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Retribution by TK Walls

Post by Prisallen »

I agree that this seems like something that a younger child would love as long as they had pictures to look at and enjoy as well. Thanks for a great review!

inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: Taking Time by Mike Murphey

Post by inaramid »

That's unfortunate. This book might be a nice way to get kids interested in mythological creatures.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”