Official Review: adventured of columbus daniel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Official Review: adventured of columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "adventured of columbus daniel" by Columbus daniel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Adventures of Columbus Daniel by Columbus Daniel is a fiction book that follows a story of the explorations of young “Danny” and numerous lessons he learns from the different experiences he had in-between his third and twelfth year.

Written as an autobiography, the story starts off with three-year-old Danny being resuscitated, having slipped into a coma, after falling into a well. Danny then becomes more attached to things of nature and faith in God. He also develops a preference for people with black skin over white-skinned people, even when racial prejudice was very evident at that time. He does not quite fit in with most of his peers at home or school. After his mother remarries, he is dropped off at his grandparent’s house where he lives a farm life until he is twelve. During his time there, he learns some valuable lessons through the friends he makes as well as his numerous adventurous expeditions.

It is usually a very difficult task to write an autobiography that does not look false, as there is always a very high chance that the author attributes certain positive qualities to himself to make him look good or leave the readers in awe. I was pleased that was not the case here. The author, telling a story of himself as a child, does not try to paint his younger self, “Danny” more than what he was- a child. Danny's thoughts and actions were consistent with those of a child throughout the book. This was especially evident in his relationship with his cousin, James. It made his story more credible and believable.

I like that the author described locations explicitly. I always had a clear picture of what the features of houses and places looked like. I also liked that this book was very easy to read as the editorial team did a very good job. This book contained absolutely no grammatical errors or profane language, although I found three minor typographical errors. Additionally, it was interesting to see that this book talked about the racial prejudices that existed during that time and how much Danny’s grandmother frowned at them. This is a topic that still has a lot of relevance in modern-day. I think it is important that people emulate Danny’s grandmother in a bid to eradicate racism.

Despite the positives, I was disappointed at the number of unnecessary characters that were included. These characters were introduced and they were never talked about again throughout the book. This made other important characters difficult to keep up with at times. Furthermore, I was unhappy with how frequently the topics and issues that were raised, changed without a complete explanation regarding their outcome.

As a result of my reservations, I have taken off one star and rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend The Adventures of Columbus Daniel for people interested in nature and fiction stories.

adventured of columbus daniel
View: on Bookshelves
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

I agree with you, most autobiographies look false. This is because no one would speak badly about himself. This is a good review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It appears that his grandmother had a positive influence on his life. I agree with your comments about the long list of characters in many autobiographies. Thanks for the interesting review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am not very fond of autobiographies, and aso faith related reads. I will pass on this one. Thanks for the informative review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

The theme of racial prejudice is interesting, but this book doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Still, thanks for the review!
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This seems like an engaging and enjoyable book. I really appriciate the author for his honesty and for portraying himself just like he was and not like he wanted himself to be. Thank you very much for the great review!
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

It is wonderful when you are able to tell how truthful the author is being within their words. The issue with the characters might have something to do with inexperience if this is all he's ever wrote. Seasoned authors know that unnecessary characters are something to stay away from if they do not have a reason for existing. Great review!
Debra123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debra123.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Debra123 »

This sounds like a book I could enjoy. I found the last autobiography I read extremely Irritating. I felt like the author was bragging while pretending to be humble. I appreciate your thoughts about the difficulty of writing an honest autobiography. Great review!
bellajavier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajavier.html
Latest Review: Truth Come to Light by Taryn Feldmann

Post by bellajavier »

I get you why you were annoyed by too many unnecessary characters, such characters kind of add a burden at the back of my head because I feel pressured to remember them. This was a very well written review! I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I am always fascinated by books that embrace children's perspectives to talk about "serious" topics. This sounds like a great book, and so does your review. Thank you!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
fadjei
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by fadjei »

This sounds like an interesting book. However, the overflow of unnecessary characters must make it very confusing to read this book.
Thanks for the review!
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

If it was an non-fictional autobiography, I'd have gave the author somewhat of a break when it comes to side characters. But since this one is fictional, I feel like the author could've made them a bit more relevant to the story. Thanks for your review!
Katherinenyirenda9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Katherinenyirenda9 »

This is an interesting book,i really appreciate the author for this book because i have learnt something from it.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

This is such a fascinating review and am going to check out the book.

Great review

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”