Review by Jac-o-lantern -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jac-o-lantern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jac-o-lantern.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Jac-o-lantern -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Jac-o-lantern »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign is a young adult fiction. Adam is a troubled teen whose world is turned upside down shortly after a new girl, Carly, starts at his school. She holds the secret to why he has always felt so different and helps him to discover who he is. Unfortunately, there is a corrupt organization after special people, like Carly and Adam, and they must fight against them for themselves and others like them.

I most enjoyed the parts of the story told from the perspective of Carly. I liked her character and all the developmental potential that she has. Even though the story starts from the perspective of Adam, I preferred having Carly as the main focus and was happy when the story was also told from her point of view. This gave a nice break from all of the dark thoughts of Adam, who was hard to like at times.

What I most disliked about this book was the disconnect between the start of the story and the end. The beginning had some very dark topics that felt like they were just brushed off and forgotten later on. I also felt that the begging of the book was very dark and almost belonged in a different book than the end. There were also parts that I felt were just quickly thrown in to tie up loose ends but should have had more of an impact.

I would rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I would not rate the book lower at two stars because it was exceptionally well edited and had an interesting, suspenseful plot. Conversely, I would not rate this book higher at a perfect four stars because I found the beginning to be hard to read through and not fitting with the rest of the book. There was good character development to be taken from the beginning but I felt that either the author should have taken it in another direction for the rest of the book or omitted it completely.

This book is listed as a young adult fiction and there are some aspects that fit in that genre. However, I think that some of the content at the beginning was took dark for young readers and is a better fit for a mature audience. Therefore, I would recommend this book to mature readers who still enjoy reading teen fiction.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”