Review by Cherie Bastock -- Unhinged by Steve Galley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cherie Bastock
Currently Reading: The forgetting
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherie-bastock.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Review by Cherie Bastock -- Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by Cherie Bastock »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Unhinged" by Steve Galley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eddie is in his last year of high school. On the outside he is confident, popular and admired. However, he is troubled by his inability to focus or relax. In his head, Eddie hears what he calls 'The Hunter'; a voice full of self-hatred and negative messages. Eddie tries to drown out the voice by keeping active and hiding his feelings, but he can't always control his emotions, which gets him into trouble.

Unhinged, written by Steve Galley, is a young adult novel with likeable, realistic characters. The protagonist, Eddie, is often anxious and on edge, so he fights to keep away The Hunter most of the time. However, it's getting harder now as the pressure of finishing school and his father's antagonism are becoming too much to bear. Eddie's friends have their own problems and he helps them before ever seeking help for himself. It is a lonely and confusing time for him.

Most people have worries when they are growing up and figuring out who they want to be, but Eddie's situation is a serious one that can often lead to tragedy. Luckily he doesn't take drugs or drink to excess, but he does have some risky behaviours. While reading this book, I could empathise with Eddie and understand his behaviour. As the novel progressed, I could sense the building up of Eddie's frustration. His desperation was palpable. The author did a great job describing Eddie's feelings, which is probably because they are based on the author's own experiences of when he was young. I liked how the author gradually built up the tension, leaving the reader to wonder what may happen to Eddie if he doesn't get help.

Unhinged is a story that's engrossing and believable. It is well-written and easy to read. I would recommend it for a young adult audience (15 and older) or for those particularly interested in mental health issues. There was only one instance of swearing and also a minor sex scene, which was short and tasteful, so I feel it is suitable for readers under 18.

This book appears to be well-edited, however there were several minor errors and some of the line spacing was erratic, which interrupted the flow of reading. Due to these errors I give my rating of three out of four stars but I'd give three-and-a-half if I could. The story was interesting and had an ending that I didn't expect. I would be happy to read a sequel to see what happens to Eddie in later life.

Unhinged
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”