Official Review: Roses and Radicals by Susan Zimet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Overbrook Farms by Neal Goldstein

Official Review: Roses and Radicals by Susan Zimet

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Roses and Radicals" by Susan Zimet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Roses and Radicals: The Epic Story of How American Women Won the Right to Vote by Susan Zimet is a celebration of the courageous leaders of the suffrage movement. Less than one hundred years ago and after seventy years of American women fighting for the right to vote, the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified in 1920, passing by a one-vote margin. Zimet documents historical events by championing the women leading the cause, including Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony, Lucretia Mott, Lucy Stone, Matilda Joslyn Gage, Alice Paul, and Lucy Burns.

The book is exceptionally edited and is enhanced by a collection of historic photographs. Zimet's writing is informative and easy to understand. Although the 176-page book is classified in the YA genre, it possesses a wealth of information relevant to readers as young as ten and older. I can relate to Zimet's experience when she states that "the struggle for suffrage wasn't covered when I was in school." She shines a light on a portion of history that is often overlooked. Zimet chronicles the historical events and challenges these courageous women faced, and she keeps the story engaging by including personal stories about their friendships, alliances, and conflicts. I also enjoyed the interesting tidbits she shared. For example, among many other facts, I learned the origin of "bloomers," the identity of Elizabeth Cody Stanton's mentor, and the first married woman who kept her name. In case you are wondering, Zimet also explains the significance of the rose in the title and how it relates to the suffrage movement.

I especially liked the portions titled "Know Your Radicals" and "Putting It In Perspective." In these boxed segments, Zimet respectively highlights specific women and explains the historical relevance of certain issues. For instance, "Know Your Radicals: Abigail Adams" described the wife of the man who became the second president of the United States as "no typical politician's wife." Abigail's letters to her husband demonstrated that Adams sought her advice and considered her his equal intellectually during a time in history when women were practically viewed as their husbands’ property. In "Putting It In Perspective: Quakers," Zimet explained that Susan B. Anthony and Lucretia Mott were not only key leaders of the suffrage movement but were also Quakers. She then addresses the question: "But what are Quakers and why were so many of them involved in the fight to get women the vote?"

I honestly can't name anything I dislike about this historical YA gem. In addition to educating readers about suffragism, Zimet does an excellent job of describing how the cause grew out of the abolition movement. While both causes were inspired by the need for justice, the two weren't always aligned. Zimet explained the political issues that sometimes divided them as well as racism in the woman's movement.

It is my pleasure to rate Roses and Radicals four out of four stars. I recommend the educational and inspiring read to those ages ten and older interested in learning about the suffrage movement and the progression of women's rights. The book contains no profanity.

Roses and Radicals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

doanne_1201
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by doanne_1201 »

By the recommendation of Cecilia L, that it can be read by age starting from ten, it seems that how the wordings in this book are not that complicated. And for a book that talks about suffrage and women empowerment, this book is compelling to read. I want to know more about how women achieved their right to vote, and by this review, I am convinced to read this book.

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Rogue Genes by Jardine Henry Hart
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Oh, I like this. I'm a history nerd so any book that can appeal to younger folks and teach them a thing or two is a great book to me, buy I also like how the book seems to go into the intersection of race and sex, and how that would have affected the movement. Very nice.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”