City Of Bones - Cassandra Clare

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gh0stboyy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: City Of Bones - Cassandra Clare

Post by gh0stboyy »

I just read this book and I couldn't put it down! I read it in a day because it was just so addicting. I think it includes its fair share of YA lit cliches, but the storyline itself was good.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

hpsecrets99 wrote:
simplime wrote:I've read the first book of the series and I really liked it. My only problem was the age of the characters. They were young teenagers but lived the life of adults. ex: going clubbing. That made it a bit unbelievable for me. I do plan to continue reading the rest of the books.
That bothered me a bit too, but then I read a bit from one of the other books in the series (don't remember which) where they talk about how Shadowhunters grow up and mature faster then mundanes because their life expectancy is a lot shorter than a regular human. Still not sure why Clary and Simon were at the club, but there you go.
I really enjoyed this series as a whole and could not put them down. The age thing is different as mentioned and the author did explain that of the Shadowhunter's in one of the books. I have to say that Clary and Simon being at a club was something that their generation probably did. They most likely had to sneak in or use fake Ids which were not mentioned but I assumed. I know when I was younger that was the thing to do. I myself never did it for fear of being caught but it is believable.
Madison Degraffenreid
livreads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreads.html

Post by livreads »

When I first read this series, I loved it. I was in love with Clary, and Jace was a favorite character of mine for a while, but when I looked back on it at some of the decisions that Cassandra Clare makes, I find that I dislike many aspects of the story that I overlooked or brushed off the first go around. The major bone I have to pick is the fact that she decided that for like a good book and a half or so of the series to make the major love interest, Clary and Jace, think they were siblings. I especially didn't like the fact that even though they thought that they were related, they still kissed. It didn't bother me the first time around because I had gotten a spoiler and knew that they weren't really brother and sister, but if I hadn't known that to begin with, I don't think that I would have continued this series. I prefer her other series, The Infernal Devices,to The Mortal Instruments, but it was an old favorite and I still think its a good read, but not the best.
KacieLW
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kacielw.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by KacieLW »

I read this book years ago and couldn't remember much, so recently I decided to re-read it so I could continue on with the series. I am so glad that I did because I really didn't remember anything from before. My initial thought was that I wasn't the biggest fan. Reading it, I felt like even though there was things going on, not much was really happening. And I continued feeling that way through the second book. That being said, it is still somehow strangely addicting! Now I am craving reading the second one and I'm not even completely sure why. I feel like Clary so far, hasn't had much character growth but I still like her character. I also really like Jace, Alec and Isabelle. I will say though, I really don't like Simon. I'm not sure what it is about him, but he just really irritates me. I have also heard that the series just gets better and better, and I am excited to continue on.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Magaera
Currently Reading: Saviour
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Magaera »

I have to say I did really enjoy the start of this book series but I find that the third book should have ended it instead of adding the fourth. All that set aside I would most definitely recommend the infernal devices series in some ways it was better.
Vivisbooks
Currently Reading: Shadow Kiss
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivisbooks.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Vivisbooks »

This book started my addiction to The Mortal Instrument's Series. Cassandra Clare's writing drew me in from the start. I love the way that Clary us written.
BookSavvy90
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksavvy90.html
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane

Post by BookSavvy90 »

This book, it's sequels, prequels, and Lady Midnight, are like a drug to me. Since I first read it like 7 years ago I have been absolutely addicted to this world. It's so fascinating and the characters are amazing in their own way, plus I love that one of the main couples is a same sex couple. It, in my opinion, was about time there was a book/book series that shines a bright positive light on homosexuality. I feel that this series could help young teens who are struggling to come out because lord knows Alec had a hard time with it but in the end he got the happy ending he deserved with the most fabulous warlock in all of literature. I can read this book, and the other books again and again and never get bored and probably will soon because dang it I need my Jace, Simon, and Malec. Okay shutting up now before I continuing fangirling yall to death.

Bye! :D
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I absolutely adore this series! It does have its ups and downs, but I really grew to love the characters and understand them.
The dynamic between Jace and Clary, Magnus and Alec, and Simon and Izzy were all so well developed as well.
It's hard to imagine that this series actually began as fanfiction - that really gives the rest of us hope. ;)
Bookaholic_Anonymous
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaholic-anonymous.html

Post by Bookaholic_Anonymous »

I love City of Bones!!! I read it way before it got really popular with the movie coming out and everything. However, I made it until the third book and then lost interest in finishing the series. I have the rest of the series sitting on my bookcase though for when ever I feel the need to actually finish it :P
nicoledr
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicoledr.html

Post by nicoledr »

I absolutely loved this book and the entire series. I feel as though I will always have a special connection to these books and be apart of them. Back in high school I had just started the Infernal Devices series and started to notice parallels and similarities between this and her original Mortal Instruments series, especially in the lineage department. I grew so curious about these connections that I actually emailed her and asked if my suspicions were accurate. Also in that email I had proposed the idea of creating a family tree to span both series' and connect the ties. Much to my surprise she actually emailed me back saying that my theories were interesting, along with that she hadn't really put much thought into connecting them yet. She also thought that my family tree idea was a really good idea to think on. Time passed and I eventually sought out Clockwork Princess, the third book in the Mortal Devices trilogy, as I sat down to read it I took off the paper cover out of habit and saw that she had actually included a family tree! It explained who was related to who and the connections between both series'. Since then I have always found a particular fondness to both the series and the author.
ashersb
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashersb.html

Post by ashersb »

The movie ruined the book for me. I did not care for the movie "the mortal instruments ", but i heard good things about this book. I started reading the city of bones and could not get into it. After about 30 pages i gave up and didnt finish it. I kept seeing the movie inside my head.
Reba911
Currently Reading: Hollow City
Bookshelf Size: 822
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reba911.html

Post by Reba911 »

ashersb wrote:The movie ruined the book for me. I did not care for the movie "the mortal instruments ", but i heard good things about this book. I started reading the city of bones and could not get into it. After about 30 pages i gave up and didnt finish it. I kept seeing the movie inside my head.
I know where you're coming from with that aspect. I know several different movies I've watched before I read the book and even if I liked the movie, it was hard to get into the book because I'm used to how the movie plays through. The best thing for me to get out of that is just to wait a while before reading the book. Although, if I can help it, I do my best to avoid the movie until I've read the book.

-- 09 Sep 2016, 22:24 --
Bookaholic_Anonymous wrote:I love City of Bones!!! I read it way before it got really popular with the movie coming out and everything. However, I made it until the third book and then lost interest in finishing the series. I have the rest of the series sitting on my bookcase though for when ever I feel the need to actually finish it :P
Same here. When I started reading the series, there were only three books published. The third book had ended so well (for me) that I had actually thought the mortal instruments series was just a trilogy. It wasn't until later when they published other books that I realized I was wrong. I currently own the entire mortal instruments series and the Infernal Devices. They are on my "to read list".
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

This is one of my absolute favorite books as I was hooked from the start. I had actually accidentally come across the movie and thought it was brilliant. While researching, I found out it was a series and read them all as soon as I could. I just think that the book universe that Cassandra creates is something so strangely addicting that once you start reading, you can't seem to stop.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
bumpleby

Post by bumpleby »

Honestly could not put this book down. Absolutely loved it and the entire series. The author did an amazing job of captivating my interest and pulling me deep into this world of demons and shadowhunters.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I cant get over my love for Cassandra Claire! As soon as I read this book, I was sucked into this whole world of fantasy. The love I have for this book series is ridiculous! There are numerous books out right now that included creatures such as vampires, fairies, and werewolves so at first I was a little leery about what to expect. Claire does a wonderful job of making it similar enough for you to relate but unique enough to keep you drawn in and thinking differently about these familiar fantasy creatures. I always appreciate a good love triangle so the interest between Simon, Clary, and Jace kept me very involved!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”