City Of Bones - Cassandra Clare

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annie7stars
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: City Of Bones - Cassandra Clare

Post by Annie7stars »

I liked the book series when I started reading it when I was in middle school but as I grew older I started realizing the things wrong with this book. For instance, Jace and Clary, yes I understand that they were actually siblings and it was just something Valentine said and I know that they can't turn off their emotions for each other in an instance but it just never sat right with me their relationship.

Also they were teenagers going clubbing, maybe it was because they grew up in a city and thats something city kids do but that was also something I just didn't like.

I loved Malec though! I loved their relationship and I started watching the show and I loved how they were portrayed I do wish they added some scenes from the book to the movie/show like some other people dying and stuff like that but other than that yeah.

Overall this book isn't really my favorite but Cassandra is still an amazing author!
EmmaMay
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmamay.html
Latest Review: The Stolen Heir by Tayma Tameem

Post by EmmaMay »

I loved this book so much too and the rest of the books in the series are also great. I would definitely agree that the book manages to include so many different types of characters who all find themselves united in the situations they face.
Weird_Illustrator
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-weird-illustrator.html
Latest Review: Otherside by Aaron Dennis

Post by Weird_Illustrator »

rifieka wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 01:15
Weird_Illustrator wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 15:34 I think it was fine.
The main story (girl + handsome boy she first doesn't really like, fantastic world girl gets to know, blossoming feelings for said boy, etc.) isn't that innovative and I kinda had a problem with the characters ages (would have preferred them to be like two years older...). Then I was hoping for some intersting side characters but most of them were just that: side characters with little actual input of their own. For example I really wanted to like Alec but it felt a bit like he didn't really act on his own, he followed Jace and was mean to Clary and that was about it.
Still I could read the book without having any desire to stop halfway through
If you want liking Alec even more, I suggest you read the rest of the series. I say this with enthusiasm and excitement because i know for sure you're going to be on your tiptoes reading them. You'll be so engrossed in the characters (ofcourse, I mean clary and jace. But you'll also get the stories of the side characters. Alec, isabelle, Magnus, simon, Luke, and others you don't know if you've stopped on City of Bones). Trust me when i say this: these books are worth losing your memory to experience again.
I haven't stopped reading the series even though at some point I really wanted to (Clary just made some of the most annoying decisions ever in book 2 and 3) but I kept going and right now I am halfway through "City of Lost Souls" which in my opinion is the best book of the series so far. I don't know if they really got better or if I just got used to all the characters but at the moment I'm honesty enjoying it.
rifieka
Currently Reading: 10 Steps To Earning Awesome Grades
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rifieka.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by rifieka »

Weird_Illustrator wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 05:37
rifieka wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 01:15
Weird_Illustrator wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 15:34 I think it was fine.
The main story (girl + handsome boy she first doesn't really like, fantastic world girl gets to know, blossoming feelings for said boy, etc.) isn't that innovative and I kinda had a problem with the characters ages (would have preferred them to be like two years older...). Then I was hoping for some intersting side characters but most of them were just that: side characters with little actual input of their own. For example I really wanted to like Alec but it felt a bit like he didn't really act on his own, he followed Jace and was mean to Clary and that was about it.
Still I could read the book without having any desire to stop halfway through
If you want liking Alec even more, I suggest you read the rest of the series. I say this with enthusiasm and excitement because i know for sure you're going to be on your tiptoes reading them. You'll be so engrossed in the characters (ofcourse, I mean clary and jace. But you'll also get the stories of the side characters. Alec, isabelle, Magnus, simon, Luke, and others you don't know if you've stopped on City of Bones). Trust me when i say this: these books are worth losing your memory to experience again.
I haven't stopped reading the series even though at some point I really wanted to (Clary just made some of the most annoying decisions ever in book 2 and 3) but I kept going and right now I am halfway through "City of Lost Souls" which in my opinion is the best book of the series so far. I don't know if they really got better or if I just got used to all the characters but at the moment I'm honesty enjoying it.
I think every book is the best. I mean it would feel like I'm betraying Cassandra Clare if I compare her books :lol2:. honestly, though, I can't compare any of her books, not just TMI series. They all have their own unique beauty, you know. City of bones is not like the super boring season 1 to an epic series movie. It's thrilling. City of heavenly fire is definitely not the stupid season 8 we've been waiting for so long and got disappointed. They're all just amazing. Every single book.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

monserrat_21 wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 12:20 I liked the book and The Mortal Instruments series, but I personally enjoyed the prequel more. The Infernal Devices has a more likeable protagonist, more interesting and lovable characters and I prefer London in the 1800s as a setting over modern day New York. I do have to admit that if it wasn't for City of Bones catching my attention from the beginning I probably wouldn't have given Clockwork Angel a chance, so there's that.
I've just started reading the prequel series and I agree - I much prefer the setting of 1800s London. I'm about 400 pages in and loving it so far!!
Ashleyhurley
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ashleyhurley »

I’ve just finished the city of bones and I immediately fell in love with the characters and the dialogue. Once you start reading you won’t be able to stop. I’ve heard many good things about The Mortal Instruments series and I’ve already purchased city of ashes. Learning about the down worlders and the shadow world made me remember how much I love reading.
readlikejess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readlikejess.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by readlikejess »

Super loved it!! it got me hooked and I continued reading the whole series for less than a month. I am a really slow reader, and this book series really urged me to finish it immediately while enjoying it. I was so in love with Clary and Jace.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I definitely loved this when I was younger. Now I do believe the writing could have been better but the plot is as addictive as ever.
Claire Zondo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-zondo.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Claire Zondo »

I absolutley love the book series, I was obsessed with it, rereaed each book many times, I live for Alec Lightwood he is my absolute favorite. Though I did feel it was a bit unrealistic for the characters to be considered teenagers and yet act and do things adults would.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

I was hooked on City of Bones from the very beginning. I loved the storyline and the characters so much! I went to see the movie in the theaters and loved that too but I was so sad when they decided to not continue making the books into movies. I think they ended up (or were going to) making a tv series on the books but I haven’t found that yet.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”