City Of Bones - Cassandra Clare

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bookworm_Megan
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm-megan.html

City Of Bones - Cassandra Clare

Post by Bookworm_Megan »

I found this book completely addictive! I was fascinated from the start! I bought it on the recommendation of a friend and I was unsure about her description. Thank god she turned out to be right. Cassandra Clare is a truly outstanding writer. The genre of fantasy is done by multiple authors in various ways - vampires, fairies, slayers, werewolves, - and countless others. This book manages to combine all of these characters in a new and unique way. Demons are hunted while Shadowhunters and mythical creatures work together (most of the time).

On top of that this book is filled with characters you can't help but fall in love with! Personally I love myself a bad boy so am a fan of Jace. The characters and plot intertwine well and contains numerous twists and turns.

If you enjoy surprises, unusual romance, broadening your horizons and having a laugh, I suggest this for you! :D
jlg
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jlg »

I tried, I really did, to like this book. I don't know if I'm just too old for young adult literature now or what, but I found it predictable and I kept putting it down and not going back to it for months at a time. It was so formulaic. Girl meets boy she instantly dislikes although he's devastatingly handsome. Girl gets pulled into a world she never imagined could exist and finds out she was actually born into it/meant to be there. Girl and boy gradually fall in love. Meh. Maybe I'll like the movie, but I had to give the book to my little sister because I was over it halfway through. I'm looking for something a little more original and surprising.
simplime
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplime.html
Latest Review: "Trick Or Treat Or Murder" by Nova Rose

Post by simplime »

I've read the first book of the series and I really liked it. My only problem was the age of the characters. They were young teenagers but lived the life of adults. ex: going clubbing. That made it a bit unbelievable for me. I do plan to continue reading the rest of the books.
Latest Review: "Trick Or Treat Or Murder" by Nova Rose
SadMangaGirl

Post by SadMangaGirl »

I have read ALL of these and the infernal devises and ABSOLUTLY love it. I can not wait for the movie even though I know i will be very disapointed in it...
katherine_sims

Post by katherine_sims »

This book was recommended to me by a fellow avid reader of young adult novels. After she had recommended the Hunger Games series and Divergent series, which I loved, I had no doubt I would love this series also. On the contrary, I found this book to be very lackluster. Average is the word I would use to describe it best. The writing style was the thing that irritated me most. It was, in my opinion, very adolescent and repetitive, the writing style of a young high school student writing short stories in English class. The writing style was so bad, in fact, it distracted me from the actual events taking place within the book. The only thing that kept me reading was her interesting take on demon hunting and monsters. I enjoyed the runes and relationship between shadow hunters and the rest of the world. On the other hand, the story line was very predictable and I found the characters to be quite flat. There was a lack of emotional connection to the characters that made the book hard to get lost in. Overall it was a huge disappointment to a young adult novel enthusiast. I could not bring myself to finish the series.
hpsecrets99
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading: The Spectacular Now
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hpsecrets99.html
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by hpsecrets99 »

simplime wrote:I've read the first book of the series and I really liked it. My only problem was the age of the characters. They were young teenagers but lived the life of adults. ex: going clubbing. That made it a bit unbelievable for me. I do plan to continue reading the rest of the books.
That bothered me a bit too, but then I read a bit from one of the other books in the series (don't remember which) where they talk about how Shadowhunters grow up and mature faster then mundanes because their life expectancy is a lot shorter than a regular human. Still not sure why Clary and Simon were at the club, but there you go.
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
PeaceLoveBooks

Post by PeaceLoveBooks »

City of Bones, the first book in The Mortal Instruments series was a phenomenal book. Interestingly enough, I discovered this book when I was at a movie theatre and saw the previews for the movie based on the City of Bones book, after that I had to read it! I soon got hooked on the whole series! In this book Clary and Simon live very normal lives until one day at club Pandemonium Clary realizes she can see things others cant, and soon enough she and Simon have discovered the Shadowhunter world! This is where Shadowhunters and Downworlders work together to battle demons and keep the human world safe and unaware of the battle going on for their safety. Along the way a romance is sparking and adventure is calling. Clary's bravery, Jace's charm, Simon's wit, Alec's jealousy , and Isabelle's fierce atittude along with the combining of many mythical creatures such as faeries, demons, werewolves, warlocks, and vampires, make it one heck of a good read.
booksbycourtney
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: If I Stay
Currently Reading: Clash of Kings
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksbycourtney.html
fav_author_id: 782

Post by booksbycourtney »

I love this book! Cassandra Clare is an amazing writer and has the amazing skill of being able to portray a whole new world. Magnus is my favorite character because hes is just so out there and unique. The whole story in itself is unique and I really enjoyed this world.
If you didn't like this book I would suggest to just try the second book, the series gets better with the books (well debatable)
I recommend City of Bones to every book lover out there! If you have not read this book I suggest to give it a shot!
chloe2000

Post by chloe2000 »

I loved City of bones! I was hooked from the beginning it really helped set the scene for the other five books as well. Though it probably isn't my favorite of the books, I would definitely say the others were better and if you didn't like City of bones I would urge you to try the second book before you completely dismiss it.
Stuck_inabook
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stuck-inabook.html

Post by Stuck_inabook »

I enjoy reading a story that engages me from the beginning. I like a book that I cannot predict where the author is taking the reader. That happened in this book, and the entire series. For that reason, I would recommend this story. However, my criticism of the book is that the issues involved in the book seemed more adult, like one reviewer stated, and a little sensual for a teen book. I would recommend this book to fellow adults, but not to a teenager.
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I read all the Mortal Instrument books, and the Infernal Devices as well. I just got into the story and couldn't NOT read through to the end of it ;)

On the other hand, I watched the movie, and wasn't impressed at all.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
sophie_mcmaster
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie-mcmaster.html

Post by sophie_mcmaster »

Bookworm_Megan wrote:I found this book completely addictive! I was fascinated from the start! I bought it on the recommendation of a friend and I was unsure about her description. Thank god she turned out to be right. Cassandra Clare is a truly outstanding writer. The genre of fantasy is done by multiple authors in various ways - vampires, fairies, slayers, werewolves, - and countless others. This book manages to combine all of these characters in a new and unique way. Demons are hunted while Shadowhunters and mythical creatures work together (most of the time).

On top of that this book is filled with characters you can't help but fall in love with! Personally I love myself a bad boy so am a fan of Jace. The characters and plot intertwine well and contains numerous twists and turns.

If you enjoy surprises, unusual romance, broadening your horizons and having a laugh, I suggest this for you! :D

i completely agree i loved the entire series and i just adore story following Clary and Jace. Incredible book !
"I do not read for i have renounced life, I read because one life is just not enough for me."

Sophie McMaster
klnadams
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klnadams.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by klnadams »

The first book started a little slow. However, it didn't take long and I was hooked. Could not quit reading. Had to get through them to see what would happen next. I loved the idea of combining different myths together. Loved it..
lovebecka
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovebecka.html

Post by lovebecka »

I loved this book, it had me hooked from the beginning. A coworker recommended it to me, and the I read the second and third book as well. I've just order the complete series and I cant wait to read the new books, as well as Re read the ones Ive already read. This was a really great series to me and I cant wait to see where it goes.
Misslav20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misslav20.html

Post by Misslav20 »

I wont lie this book series had me hooked. I felt like i was going from one book to the next in anticipation of the next part of the story. I do agree with the person who said it was predictable but i didn't mind that as much. I think the part with them at the club was somewhat unrealistic but growing up I went to teen parties so it isn't completely weird to me. If you factor in it takes place in New York i feel like its more probable to have teens at clubs.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”