Official Review: The Ghost of Jamie McVay by R. G. Ziemer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Official Review: The Ghost of Jamie McVay by R. G. Ziemer

Post by Helene_2008 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ghost of Jamie McVay" by R. G. Ziemer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever seen a ghost or experienced something paranormal? I can’t say that I have, but I’ve always enjoyed books or television shows about the subject. Brian Krueger, our main character in The Ghost of Jamie McVay, believes he has seen something out on Prairie Path behind his new house in Winston, Illinois. It starts as vibrating in the ground, then the thick, oily smell of machinery. Next, a blast of air is upon him and the unmistakable clickety-clack sound of a train. And then there is the red light off in the distance. It’s like there is a ghost train going by on the overgrown railroad tracks. But who will believe him? And what does it mean? Unlike most high school students, Brian has a ghost story he needs to unravel.

Other than ghosts, Brian has a lot of other things on his plate. His grandpa has passed away recently. As a result of this, Brian and his parents have moved from the city to the suburbs where his mom can find work. Brian’s dad is not coping well with his father passing away. He starts drinking hard and is let go from work because of it. This book dives into the strain the drinking puts on the family, specifically the relationship between Brian and his dad. As a junior in high school, Brian will have to make new friends and learn where he fits in at his new school. Sharon Rice lives nearby, and they quickly become friends. Can he trust her with his ghost story? Could it prevent them from becoming something more?

The author, R. G. Ziemer, describes this book as best for young adults, specifically males. I would agree that this is the target audience, but as an adult female, I still really enjoyed the book. So much so, that I can’t say there was anything I disliked about it. I was a little worried that some things wouldn’t be addressed before the end of the book, but they were just in time. As I was reading the last chapter of the book, I thought it might be ending too abruptly. When I got to the last few sentences though, I changed my mind. It was a sweet ending that made me smile. One of my favorite parts was Brian’s interview with Mrs. Runyon. While I can’t say too much about the exchange, it was nice to see her perspective of the Roosevelt Marsh Disaster and how it affected her family.

I give this book a 4 out of 4 rating. While reading, I found no errors in the book. Therefore, it seems it was professionally edited. I thought the story had a good pace, and I never felt like it dragged on. I thought the characters were relatable, and I’m sure everyone remembers a gang from high school similar to Pete the Pyro and his group of unsavory friends.

As mentioned before, this book would be best for young males who are in high school. The book discusses a lot of subjects they can relate to, such as making friends, homecoming, sports events, and bullies. I would not recommend this book to those younger than high school due to some violence and vulgar language. I would also recommend this book to those who like ghost stories or reading books with young adult characters. I think the ghost story of Jamie McVay has a lesson we all can learn from.

The Ghost of Jamie McVay
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”