Official Review: Princess Adele's Dragon by Shirley McLain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 116
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 324
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Princess Adele's Dragon by Shirley McLain

Official Review: Princess Adele's Dragon by Shirley McLain

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Princess Adele's Dragon" by Shirley McLain.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Princess Adele’s Dragon by Shirley McLain is a medieval fantasy written for young adults. Brother and sister, Robert and Adele, were educated and trained side-by-side growing up. Their parents had died recently, making nineteen-year-old Robert, the King of Valdoria. A child offered as a sacrifice was believed to be able to appease a dragon and to keep the Kingdom of Valdoria safe. Princess Adele did not accept that and went out to kill the dragon. Alone, Adele confronted the dragon and discovered something that was a key to actually saving Valdoria.

The story includes betrayal and loyalty, power-hungry enemies and supporters, as well as love and hate relationships. I best liked that the castle had a lot of secret passageways and doorways. These were used throughout the story by different people. I liked the trusted knight, Bruce, who was willing to endanger his life to help save Valdoria. He was loyal to his friends and did the right things. Adele was strong-willed, which sometimes got her into some difficult situations. The antagonists were real scoundrels, who looked down on women and children. They would do anything to take over Valdoria and did despicable things.

While some of the characters’ personalities were described well, others were not. There were very few physical descriptions of the characters, and I felt that the characters were not well developed. I least liked that the conversations seemed mechanical and much of the story seemed predictable. Actions picked up towards the end of the story, and I found myself becoming more interested in the outcome of the war against Valdoria.

The book contained many misspelled words and errors in punctuation. The story needs some deep editing with improved structure and descriptions to be fully developed as a whole. Therefore, I deducted two stars because of the many errors, undeveloped characters, and too few physical descriptions. I rate Princess Adele’s Dragon by Shirley McLain 2 out of 4 stars. The book was not given any lower rating because the story’s plot was easy to follow and included protagonists as well as antagonists.

I felt like I was reading a draft instead of the finished book. I hope that the story will be edited and developed to make it a much better product for young adults to enjoy reading. There was no profanity used and no sexual content, outside of light kissing. There were a few instances of descriptions of killings and war tactics that may be unsuitable for young children to read. After editing, I would recommend this book to people who like to read fantasy books set in medieval times that includes a dragon and some magic. If you like fully developed characters and scenes with twists and surprises, you may want to skip this one.

Princess Adele's Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Amy747 »

Usually I love medieval stories but I think I might skip this one for now. Hopefully the author reworks the story a bit to make it more enjoyable.

adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by adamgreenrock »

If the book has too many underdeveloped characters, then it's a skip for me. Thanks for your honest review!

IfeomaD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeomad.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by IfeomaD »

It seems like this book has potential but with underdeveloped characters, it isn't going to stand out. I hope the author works more on it. Awesome review
We will have our ups and downs, regardless of who we are. When we fall, we peel ourselves off the asphalt and get back up. If we need to cry, then we cry. And when we’re ready, we get back up and move forward again.

Richard L. Haight

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”