Review by Jocelyn Eastman -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by Jocelyn Eastman -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Opaque, by Calix Leigh-Reign, takes us on a journey with Adam Caspian, a high school senior from Southern California, and Carly Wit, a fellow senior new to the school from Silver Springs, Minnesota. Adam has a dark past and a dark side. Attracted to his mother and involved with the death of a missing girl in a nearby town, Adam saw most fellow human beings as nothing more than animals and wished only to develop telekinetic powers and become a sociopath. That is, until he met Carly. Something about Carly called out to him, as if his core being was reaching out to hers. After he is involved in an accident, secrets are revealed and Adam’s life changes forever. Soon, those secrets mean he and Carly are hunted. Will they survive?

Opaque is a very well edited book with almost no mistakes. The language is quite rich within the book, and I had to pull out my dictionary a few times just to understand what the author was even saying. The book is marketed as being geared towards young adults, but I would tend to view that labeling with caution, as there are some rather mature sexual themes in the book; the Oedipal attraction between Adam and his mother Jo was quite disturbing. There is very little explicit language in the book.

The thing I liked most about this book was the strong character development for the main characters. While Adam was very upsetting in the beginning of the novel, I was able to see how the effects of meeting Carly and how the different events in the book effected his character. Carly’s changes were also detailed for the reader to see. The author made sure that we were invested in the characters, and even though I really didn’t like Adam, I couldn’t help but find myself rooting for him in the end.

The thing I disliked most about the book was how the author treated the death of Terry. While cited in the beginning of the novel as one of the most significant things to ever happen in Adam’s life, we find later that the discovery of Terry’s death by another character in the novel was really glossed over as if it had never happened. I was really surprised by this handling of it. Especially since the author went to so much trouble to mention flyers of Terry’s disappearance multiple times, as if foreshadowing something more important. It just felt like the reader never got a payoff for that portion of the story, and Adam never had to pay for his dark deeds.

Overall, this was a great read. There were a lot of overreaching themes that could get the more thoughtful reader invested, while being straightforward enough for any reader just looking for an escape. I enjoyed it and that’s why I am giving it 4 out of 4 stars.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”