Review by Samantha Shinn -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samantha Shinn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-shinn.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by Samantha Shinn -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Samantha Shinn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign, is about a group of genetically mutated humans, Descendants, banning together to take down an evil organization, the Iksha, who has been hunting down their kind to experiment on and kill. The main character, Adam, is adopted into a non-mutated family and meets a girl, Carly, another Descendant, where they find out that he has supernatural powers. He searches about his history and learns the extent of his powers. They go behind the backs of the Descendant Council to attack the Iksha headquarters in Greenland. Do they win? Read to find out! You will not be disappointed with this read!

The best part of the book was the relationship between Adam and Carly. Their cores sync together, making it impossible for each other to live without the other. The author does well in not overusing the relationship so that it does not take away from the point of the book, which is to destroy the Iksha so they can live a more peaceful life without worrying about being hunted. I thought the entire book was amazing and would not choose a worse part. The author did well in developing each character. I do hope, as I read the other books of the trilogy, that there is more mention of the other Descendants, rather than singling out Adam and Carly.

I rate Calix Leigh-Reign’s book four out of four stars. There were very few grammatical mistakes. The only mentionable error is that the author wrote an extra “t” in the following sentence: “Tthe price women pay for beauty.” The author needs to omit the second “t” in “Tthe.” Other than that, the author did not make mistakes in her grammar.

The audience that this book most likely targets are those who are into secular, romantic/sci-fi literature. If one is interested in supernatural/superhuman abilities, this book may be for them. There are very few cuss words within the text. The author uses “f**k,” “damn,” and “ass.” However, the minor cuss word, damn, is used the most, the others appearing very rarely within the text. There are also a few mentions of sexual scenes, but without all the graphic details. It is more of explaining that Carly and Adam have sexual desires for each other and get hot, but not erotic. I am glad that the author did not make it steamy, which made it easy to stay on track of the fight between the Descendants and Iksha.

Opaque is a fantastic read that was hard to put down! It is about a quirky, misfit teenager who finds out that he possesses supernatural abilities. He finds out there are more like him and becomes less of a misfit throughout time, bonding with a group of other descendants. If you want a read that is tough to put down, pick up Opaque and the rest of the trilogy by Calix Leigh-Reign.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”