Review by 3mom46 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
3mom46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3mom46.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review by 3mom46 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by 3mom46 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Opaque by Cālix Leigh-Reign is Book 1 of the Scion Saga. It follows the remarkable journey of a young man named Adam, as he discovers the supernatural reasons behind his strange feelings and behavior. These 251 pages are a roller coaster ride of action, adventure, betrayal, romance, and friendship, with an extra twist. Dark thoughts, dangerous secrets, new friends, that special someone, and superhuman abilities all wait to be explored by the reader.

While this book is marketed as YA, for young adults, I, as someone middle-aged, enjoyed it immensely. I appreciate that there are only two instances of profanity. On page 13, "F you, Mark" and on page 28 "...wishes he could tell Weatherbrooks to go to hell". Similarly, the physically romantic scenes are few in number and not explicit. Brief references are made eluding to an erection, but aren't dwelled upon nor are details given.

What I liked most about this book is that the story develops quickly, yet doesn't feel rushed. It kept me on the edge of my seat, metaphorically, almost the entire time. I laughed aloud, cried, and at times had to catch my breath at an unforeseen twist. It is unpredictable in the best, most engaging way.

What I disliked most was the very dark, disturbing way the story begins. Although I came to realize the necessity, in terms of painting the whole verbal picture, having an Oedipal complex introduced on page 14 was initially very off-putting. Adam's thoughts, feelings, and actions in the first half of the first chapter are quite disturbing, to say the least.

In conclusion, I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The story is very well written. The plot is new and exciting. The editing is top notch, as I found absolutely no grammatical errors, in spelling or punctuation, to distract me. I would recommend this book to any fan of the genre, from age 12 to 112. I enjoyed it so much that I fully intend to add the rest of the series to my personal library.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”