Review by DragonLight877 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DragonLight877
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: A Thousand Seeds of Joy by Ananda Karunesh
fav_author_id: 3201

Review by DragonLight877 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by DragonLight877 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I personally thought Opaque by Calix Leigh Reign was an excellent read. It follows Adam, a 16 year old boy who just can't see himself as one of humanity, while also trying desperately to fit in with other humans. He has a strained relationship with his father and a confusing one with his mother. Adam is a dark and brooding character. He struggles with himself constantly. Shortly after he returns to school he meets a new girl named Carly. From the first moment they see each other there is an instant connection. And Adam must choose the life he wants to live, and the kind of man he wants to be.

This book had me hooked. The romance was adorable. I thought Carly was an excellent secondary character, if not a second main character. She was just as complex and interesting as Adam. And just as vital. But beyond that, there were mysteries that needed to be solved, or questions that needed to be answered. With all the strange magical sort of things that were happening, there was always something we didn't know. What I really liked about the book was the constant pull to find answers. I was just as interested as Adam to understand what was going on.

As far as what I liked the least about it, it's hard to say. At some points in the book I found the dialogue to be a little cliche. People would get bits of information and somehow know almost the whole story being told. Or one person would have the perfect object or item to project the story along. Some of the events in the book seemed a little to coincidental. But that isn't a major flaw to me, as it's quite difficult to never be cliche.

So with all that in mind. I've rated this book to be a 4 out of 4. There were minor issues, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. I definitely want to go and find the second book and see what happens next. The characters were complicated and sincere. There were a few grammatical errors, but not a large amount. And I feel the main character had a large amount of character development.

I think this would be a great book for younger fantasy readers. The content is a little dark, but it isn't overly graphic. But I also think adults would find this book just as interesting. Anyone looking for an energetic adventure will enjoy this read.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”