Official Review: Fearsome Destiny: by Joseph Amiel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
2018 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading: Pipeline to God
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: Fearsome Destiny: by Joseph Amiel
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Fearsome Destiny: by Joseph Amiel

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fearsome Destiny:" by Joseph Amiel.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fearsome Destiny by Joseph Amiel is a young adult novel that incorporates American history in a fun, unique way. It is classified as science fiction, but I would type it more as fantastic historical fiction. And while that may dissuade hardcore sci-fi fans from reading this book, young adult readers may not mind.

The main character is a young man named Gallin, a high school student who is more comfortable staying to himself than engaging with peers. His self-isolation causes his classmates and the staff at the school to underestimate him, perceiving him as a failure. In fact, Gallin is incredibly bright and, among other things, is investigating faint sounds coming to Earth from space.

His guardian, Juliana, has been murdered, and Gallin discovers the killer is now after him. During their town’s Revolutionary War festival, this assassin traps both Gallin and his fellow ward, Alexine, planning to kill them both. To escape, the teen relies on a tiny box that Juliana had told him would deliver them from a dire threat. Not knowing what to expect, the pair press the button and wake up in what they think is a much larger reenactment with people they don't recognize. What they come to discover will change everything they have believed about themselves.

I found myself invested in Gallin, interested in what was going to happen to him. On the contrary, though Alexine was his partner in the plot, she was much less developed, and I found her decisions often unsupported by her personality design. In another vein, I did enjoy the interactions of the pair with heroes of the American Revolution. The author introduces readers to such historical figures as Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and John Adams. These interactions were well written, and many were humorous.

The plot was not always predictable, even though it relies on some familiar devices. It ends with "To Be Continued," so the author left some questions unanswered. Still, the book did seem to wrap up nicely and could be read as a standalone novel. But while it is mostly a fun read, several plot points don't play out. In one instance, a character plans to start a slave uprising in order to change the focus of the Revolutionary War. However, a few pages later, he has instead freed several slaves and taken them away from the war altogether. No explanation is given about his change of mind, which turns the actions of the plot. Instances like this made me feel the story needed a little cleanup.

After weighing the many pros and cons, I give Fearsome Destiny 2 out of 4 stars. I am taking one of the stars for editing issues. Although the book is not saturated with errors, there are enough to be distracting. I highly recommend another round of editing for this book. For instance, there are several places where paragraphs end in the middle of sentences and skip to the next line after indentation. There are also missing words, punctuation errors, and at least one place where the wrong character's name is used. I am taking the other star because, although the plot is good, it isn't great. As stated above, characters and plot points could do with sharpening. Additionally, much of the storyline involves the plans and actions of a deathmatch, an idea I don't find appealing in a young adult novel.

I did like that there is very little profanity in this book. Additionally, there is some violence, but no gore; there are no sexual situations, but some innuendo and allusions to affairs. I would recommend this story to older youth interested in the American Revolution and looking for an easy read. Readers looking for a strong plot or actual science fiction will not get what they want from this book.

Fearsome Destiny:
View: on Bookshelves
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Amy747 »

This book sound educational, unique, creative and intriguing.

Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Head Waggling in Delhi
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: Norah by Cynthia Argil

Post by Laura Lee »

Thanks for a well-written review! I enjoyed your analysis of the book. It really sounds like there is a lot of potential there. I hope the author takes your advice to heart and gives the book a thorough editing. It sounds like there is a lot there to like if these issues were corrected.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Latest Review: Norah by Cynthia Argil

Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Battle of the Ampere (Michael Vey, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Selling with Presence by Reggie Pearse

Post by Sydney Lee »

I like how your review is constructed. It's definitely making me think about whether or not I'd give this book a try . . . thanks for the review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”