Official Review: Dylan Murphy and the Harvest Moon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Petitbon
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 1970
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Irma's Daughters by Jennie Linnane
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: Dylan Murphy and the Harvest Moon

Post by Julie Petitbon » 10 Jan 2020, 19:21

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dylan Murphy and the Harvest Moon" by Brian Glenn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dylan Murphy and the Harvest Moon by Brian Glenn, the second book in the Eldora Chronicles, begins six weeks after the conclusion of the first book. Dylan, Lisa, and John are back in Colorado after helping the king and queen of Colabra defeat the sinister Zondor. While Dylan and Lisa explore their newfound magical abilities, John investigates a gruesome crime with no clues. When John gets injured in the line of duty, the medal he received from the king and queen magically heals him. Astonished, John seeks advice from Dylan and Lisa, and they help him figure out the cause of his magic.

Back in Endora, the king and queen of Colabra are on high alert after they detect a powerful and malignant signal. They fear Zondor’s return, but that is because they don't know about the even more powerful and evil Elder. Elder is Zondor’s master, and he is intent on obtaining the mysterious Cradle, which is hidden somewhere in Colabra. Elder enlists the resurrected Zondor to get it. However, this time, the antagonists don’t want to take over the kingdom of Colabra. Instead, they want to take over the entire planet of Endora. To do so, Elder and Zondor must take control of the planet’s power source. Fearing their imminent destruction, the king and queen summon Dylan, Lisa, and John for assistance.

Though Elder and Zondor make a formidable team, they underestimate the determination of Dylan and his friends. However, is determination enough for Dylan and his friends to save Endora from the evil clutches of Elder and Zondor?

Much like the first book in the series, the plot in Dylan Murphy and the Harvest Moon is fast-paced and exciting. Filled with action from the first scene, the story includes car chases, kidnappings, epic battles, and more. I also like the character development throughout the novel. For example, the piece delves further into John’s past. As he reflects on his life, the reader gains a complete look at the man who has become Dylan’s friend.

This story skillfully introduces even more mystical creatures and elements, giving the fantastical setting further depth and dimension. Dragons, orcs, and titans aid Elder and Zondor in an epic battle, and magical essences and medals influence the events. The story also delves into the history of Eldora. It explains how Eldora gets its magic and why the antagonists want the source of all magic.

The only aspect of the book that I do not like is the sexually predatory men. In both books in this series, the women are victims of attempted sexual assaults. Several men in this book prey upon Lisa in an attempt to rape her. The queen, too, is sexually degraded. It seems excessive and unnecessary to have every “bad guy” want to commit horrific sexual acts upon women.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a quick, smart, and slightly dark story that I enjoyed reading. Furthermore, it is professionally edited and only contains a few errors. I would not recommend it to middle school kids or younger because there are violent scenes, scenes of potential sexual assault, and heavy petting. However, young adults and adults that enjoy fast-paced, engrossing stories should check out this contemporary fantasy. Teen readers will appreciate the references to literature, science, and civics, as the topics reflect what they learn in school. I think they will also like the relatable protagonist and some of the typical teen experiences interspersed with magic.

Dylan Murphy and the Harvest Moon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Nephi's Courage by Rory Mcfarlan

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 11 Jan 2020, 07:12

Wow! This sounds like an action-packed book by all the events that you described. This sounds like a great sequel that teens will find themselves fully immersed in. Thanks for the detailed review!

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: Broken Things
Currently Reading: The Happy Place
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » 11 Jan 2020, 07:57

Sometimes I wonder if rape seen and sexual assault scenes are only put in for shock value. Though the story seeks wonderful. I might still give it a try. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon » 11 Jan 2020, 15:42

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 07:12
Wow! This sounds like an action-packed book by all the events that you described. This sounds like a great sequel that teens will find themselves fully immersed in. Thanks for the detailed review!
It is so action-packed - very fast-paced! I agree that teens will love it! :D

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 188
Currently Reading: The Wrath of Isis
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 11 Jan 2020, 23:45

The plot of the story sounds action-packed, intense, and interesting. I agree that the treatment of women seemed a bit over the top. Thanks for the informative review!

Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: Managing With Respect
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Advancing the Common Good by Philip Kotler

Post by Rayasaurus » 12 Jan 2020, 19:34

I'm definitely not for women being mistreated sexually in fiction. Under the right conditions, the narrative can be sensitive toward the issue and helpful to victims, but generally it's unhelpful especially when it happens multiple times in a story. Thank you for the well-worded review!

Gionadecina
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gionadecina » 12 Jan 2020, 22:29

This book sounds Verry interesting! And a lot of things happen in this Book so It does not get boring.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: River Kids
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by kdstrack » 15 Jan 2020, 17:07

The magical powers and the other fantasy elements incorporated in the story are attractive to this target audience. I agree with your analysis of the sexually predatory men in the story. Thanks for the insightful comments about this book.

Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon » 16 Jan 2020, 20:44

Gionadecina wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 22:29
This book sounds Verry interesting! And a lot of things happen in this Book so It does not get boring.
Absolutely! The story is interesting and action-packed. There isn't a dull moment in the entire book! :)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”