Review by Jewels-Adderley -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jewels-Adderley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jewels-adderley.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review by Jewels-Adderley -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Jewels-Adderley »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are times in life where everyone feels secluded and different from others. But for our protagonist Adam, it’s a feeling that he experiences every day of his life. In Opaque written by Calix Leigh-Reign, we get to explore the life of Adam Angel Caspian. A 16-year old who has odd and potentially dangerous things happen to others when he’s angry, to an odd obsession with his mother Adam tries to stay away from the vile thing that is the human race. Adam gradually explores his love for his mother JoAnn and his anger and his dislike toward his father; to the connection, he feels to the new girl in his class, Carly. As Adam struggles to decipher what he feels for this new girl, he keeps to himself trying to figure out what his life is.

As he deciphers his life Carly begins to confuse him, Adam feels an odd connection to her just like he does with his mother. Unbeknownst to him, Carly feels the same way. Carly is a daughter of a descendant of a powerful Rusian bloodline that has unnatural powers. These two danced around each other trying desperately to figure out the connection between them and figuring out who they are to each other in times of danger.

At the beginning of this book, I was hesitant to read another seemingly sappy love story, where the main character changes fro being a jerk to the perfect person and boyfriend with the same unnatural and obsessive traits. I didn’t like Adam in the beginning but as his character arc progressed and he began to change I found myself falling for him and those obsessive traits changed from something unsettling to something understandable. He is very understandable and easy to connect to by the end of the book.

Though Adam is the protagonist I would argue that Carly and he can share that title together, because of the absolutely beautiful story and depth she has. Carly is a relatable character who I can understand why she does what she does. Which is something more uncommon than not. I enjoyed how she had her own struggles and story. She had her own things, she wasn’t there to just push Adams story far, she was there to create her own. I applaud the author for doing so beautifully.

However, getting to the ending is a trip that might need to be taken with parental guidance seeing as there are a few scenes that are pretty adult-like. Adam at the beginning is a very dark and nearly twisted character, I nearly questioned if he was a psychopath because of how cut off his emotions were to everyone but his mother. But as the story continues and he and Carly start to become friends and then to lovers the process of his humanity showing up is gradual but well thought out and done.

Though there are a few things that I think could have had a bit more explanation on such as the girl from the market that Adam feels a connection to. But I did enjoy the history in the book about the families and the bloodlines, letting the blocks fall into place instead of forcing them.

There were parts that confused me, like Adam changing his mood towards Carly seemingly on a dime, from admiring her to throwing a football at her then offering to take care of her. It can be difficult to discern their relationship there. I find no problem for older teens and young adults to read this book. It is well-edited and I could not find any errors. The writer thought out everything well so I give this book four out of four stars. Greatly recommending it to friends and family.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”