Review by tgoatley -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tgoatley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tgoatley.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by tgoatley -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by tgoatley »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign is one of my new favorite books. The story captured me from the very beginning and I could not put it down until I was finished. The word opaque comes from a Latin word meaning “dark”, which makes it a perfect title for this book.

In the beginning, the book is dark. It is about a boy named Adam who has dark and twisted thoughts. He fantasizes about his mom, JoAnn. Adam and his dad, Mark, do not get along. He does not like school and does not like the human race. A line in the book is “While caged in darkness, he becomes emotionless and murderous in thought”. Adam is a bit of a loner and struggles with his thoughts. That is until a new girl at school comes into the picture names Carly. Everything starts changing as soon as he meets her. They are both drawn to each other and they do not know why. This book is about young love, family bonds, and scientific experiments. It has some violence in it, but it does not take away from the story.

What I loved most about this book is the characters and how much they grow. I was engaged as soon as I started reading and had to keep reading to see what happens next. They learn about love, finding new friends, and gaining a new family. They must come together to fight a battle and learn how to rely on each other.

I cannot think of one thing I did not like about Opaque. In the beginning of the book I thought it was weird to have this connection about your mom. Why would one fantasize about their mom in a sexual way? But as you keep reading, you understand why it is written. By the end of the book everything comes together and it makes you want to read more.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was an awesome book to read. The book was exceptionally well edited. I did not notice any errors. This book is categorized as young adult with sci-fi, but I would think anyone and any age would enjoy this. The story has romance in it, but no graphic sexual content. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a roller-coaster of a book. It definitely keeps you on your toes. I am very excited to read the rest of the series.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”